doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: HomelessjOe Probably a first.... - 10/17/10 09:27 PM
Probably a first for this old girl.

Took my old 1871 W&C Scott hammer gun turkey hunting the other day (12ga, with full length 20 ga. Briley tubes with Improved-Modified chokes, Remington Nitro 2&3/4", 1&1/8oz of #4's). Worked great at 20 yards.
Posted By: James M Re: Probably a first.... - 10/17/10 10:22 PM
Congradulations. I always get a thrill when using vintage guns like this. It appears you got a double there?
Jim
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Probably a first.... - 10/17/10 11:40 PM
The dog found and broke the flock in thick timber about 200 yards away from me....called the first one back after about 30 minutes, called the second one in about 10 minutes later.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Probably a first.... - 10/17/10 11:40 PM
Tired bOykin?

jack
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Probably a first.... - 10/17/10 11:42 PM
He's tired alright....he's a cross from a Boykin male and Watchtelhunde female (He's 6 years old and has well over 100 kills).
Posted By: rabbit Re: Probably a first.... - 10/18/10 12:54 AM
Had to look that one up. Turkeys big ugly and thick as fleas in South Jersey this yr but that's about as usual.

jack
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Probably a first.... - 10/18/10 01:03 AM

Ain't it the truth? One God-awful ugly game bird
Posted By: Ironman5 Re: Probably a first.... - 10/18/10 01:39 AM
Very cool dog and those birds might be ugly...but quite tasty. Good shootin Joe and done with a neat gun as well.
Posted By: keith Re: Probably a first.... - 10/18/10 10:50 AM
Very nice. I'm waiting for first day here. I have two nice flocks right around the house that I see almost daily, grazing in my field when I get home from work. Surprising, since I am getting more surrounded by poachers in buggies (Amish Dutch) every year.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Probably a first.... - 10/18/10 11:52 AM
Joe, we would like to hear about the retrieves. Personally, I couldn't resist the urge to tell my Wirehair to "Go Fetch".
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Probably a first.... - 10/18/10 07:42 PM
Carries like a 12...hits like a 20. More power to 'ya, jOe.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Probably a first.... - 10/18/10 08:56 PM
The dog is strictly a flusher/turkey catcher/killer once they are dead he wants no further involvement with a turkey.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Probably a first.... - 10/19/10 01:45 AM
Now Now Teddy, just what do you mean by that , exactly?
I would imagine jOe has the tubes in for a good reason...or perhaps he just felt in a 20 bore mood.
I say Good Man jOe, for what ever reason he chose.
Hey jOe,( Where you goin with that Gun in your hand) it took me a while to see the Turkeys, I thought it was Dog season for a second smile
Good for you mate
cheers
Franc
Posted By: RMC Re: Probably a first.... - 10/19/10 01:52 AM
Atta boy Buster, you did good. That dog needs part of your sandwich after that hunt. 20ga. with 1 1/8oz seems like a pretty stout load, what does the Scott weigh? Randy
Posted By: GregSY Re: Probably a first.... - 10/19/10 03:02 AM
Turkeys might be ugly but they sure are a lot tougher than a bald eagle. Ben Franklin wanted the turkey to be our national bird but he was overruled by the Hollywood attitude that was already beginning to form. Style over substance.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Probably a first.... - 10/21/10 02:35 AM
RMC,..Joe said it was a 12 bore, with full length 20 bore tubes, so I'm sure it didn't
feel that Stout on the old shoulder with the extra tube weight.
jOe, what is the weight with n without the toobes?
A few nice meals ( & Soups) there man.
I think Turkeys are awesome,we have herds of them up here i NH
cheers
Franc
Ps...Joe, how do those tubes fit? ,,,Snug @ Chamber & Muzzle , with a little gap inbetween or what?
Surely not a Perfect fit all the way down the pipes??
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Probably a first.... - 10/21/10 05:23 AM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
The dog found and broke the flock in thick timber about 200 yards away from me....called the first one back after about 30 minutes, called the second one in about 10 minutes later.
Then you blasted it out of a tree after you were playing with your dipstick.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Probably a first.... - 10/21/10 11:59 AM
With the tubes installed it weighs just over 7 lbs. When I had the tubes made I sent the barrels to Briley they are a perfect snug fit at the chamber and muzzle.
Only worry with the tubes is to watch for a sticky hull or you could break an extractor. I've shot 3 or 4 cases of ammo through the tubes only time I've had anything but flawless operation was with some old (kinda crusty) Federal 20 ga. ammo a friend gave me.

Did you fart Jammy bOy or was that just your breath smirk
Posted By: George L. Re: Probably a first.... - 10/22/10 12:01 AM
You girls play nice now.......BTW jOe I like your dog. Old dogs are usually the best dogs.......George

" Old Dogs and Children and Watermellon Wine"
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Probably a first.... - 11/10/10 12:10 AM
Not a first for this one. cool

Called in this hen 1 hour after the flush and killed it with my 1925 W&C Scott pigeon gun.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Probably a first.... - 11/10/10 12:16 AM

About an hour later I called in and killed this young gobbler....too bad I was tagged out.
Posted By: Geno Re: Probably a first.... - 11/10/10 12:22 AM
Joe, congrat on your nice huntings!
Who made turkey box you used?
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Probably a first.... - 11/10/10 12:26 AM
I made it in 2007, It has 42 kills.
Posted By: Geno Re: Probably a first.... - 11/10/10 12:36 AM
So are you turkey call maker? Thats great! wink
I want to make one, but for geese. There were goose boxes in use some time ago wink
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Probably a first.... - 11/10/10 12:50 AM
Geno I've made a few turkey calls but I'm no "call-maker".

I've heard several modern day turkey box calls that might be more fitting being called a goose call wink. The old goose box calls I've saw were lacking in tone so I suspect they weren't very effective at calling geese. That might be the reason for their demise.
Posted By: Tyler Re: Probably a first.... - 11/10/10 01:00 AM
Shooting hens is still frowned on here in Alabama. I bet they do eat well though. Watched 12 hens (or at least young ones) for several minutes out of a shooting house Sunday. Later 4 long beards came into the field. Were wihin 50 yards but no fall season here. Fry or smoke the breasts, the rest make a great gumbo.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Probably a first.... - 11/10/10 01:12 AM
Where I hunt it's not...fact is the second season is no-visible bearded birds with a 2 a day limit.

Sounds easy don't it...very few turkeys are killed there by others.
Posted By: ed good Re: Probably a first.... - 11/10/10 11:47 PM
very nice thread... need more like this. here, here to old joe and his doggie!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com