doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Last Dollar Careful Planning Pays Off! - 10/29/11 04:42 PM
Went out this morning to do chores, and thought, as I was pulling hay down, Nebraska Pheasants must start pretty quick..Back in the house for my 2nd cup of coffee , might as well buy a Ne. licence while I am drinking it. S**t, Starts today! Went through 3 pieces of plastic, all rejected "Invalid Account" before I figured out, it didnt like Debit cards...I dont have a Credit card and Diane is in Nebraska at her moms. Wait! I remember her getting a new or replacemnt one just yesterday..Found it, called the number got it validiated, Nebraska liked that one..Got Licence...Need gun, There is a Lefever "H" in the mud room, the one Mr. Joe Wood says has No, none Nada zip chokes,and he suspects was used as a surrigate fence post..I like it...Next Vest and shells. Out to the shop, found vest, shell cabinet is locked (why?). Have no idea where is the key...Back to house spot Box of RST's on the table in the mud room? Right, Steve Bertram left them when he was last here. 11 shells? plenty..Look for Boots,remember they are still in the "Base Camp" since 2 weeks agos elk hunt...Got em...Grab training collar from the 3 on the counter...pick the only one that lights up, and transmiitter...OK here we go, Dieseled up Old Smokey yesterday, 113 bucks...Down the road. Get to the blacktop, can't remember if I turned off the water in the corral...Back to house...water not running cuz I never turned it on, fill tank, back on the road...Since I hadnt called anyone, I will hunt a public access area North and West of Benkleman..Get there, GREAT! no one here, got it all to myself...Park truck, check signs..No longer say "public Access" now say "no hunting" Put old smokey back on the road head for Benkelman to get map at Co-OP.. Mike Rooney (Democrat) is filling his truck..."Mike, can I hunt your old place at Stratton?, sure go ahead". Prolly would have hunted it anyhow if I had thought of it,him being a Democrat and all...Get there, pull in the yard. Tell Flash to stay, get out, put on vest, get "H" from behind the seat, put it on the hood. Put collar on flash, grab transmitter..oops, not a transmitter, 2 way radio...Mutter short prayer for good dog behavior. Let flash out, pause to evacuate bladder (take a leak). Zip up ,grab gun. Flash is standing by the old feed lot looking dopey. Whats with that? Too much time with Amarillo Mikes dogs? Walk over gun open, hand in vest looking for shells. Tell Flash "hunt em up"..Ok sez he , jumps into feed lot, 913 Pheasants flush! Get one shell in gun, kill rooster to the left, falls in yard. Get another shell in, step into cover, kill one more right off the muzzle..Thank God for no chokes and bad shooting. Hear Flash barking, chasing a rabbit back toward the old junk cars. Walk over to pick up 2nd bird, 213 more birds flush from behind old loafing shed. Shoot the tail feathers off one with the right bbl, kilt it dead with the left. Walk back to truck, maybe 30 feet, with 3 roosters. Flash comes from rabbit adventure, sez, "that was fun"''Fire up old smokey and head for home..
Total time actually in the field? maybe 7-8 minutes...This proves once again, Dear Friends, that research and careful planning almost always results in a successful hunt..

All Bird counts approximate.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 10/29/11 04:48 PM
Look sumthin' like this?

Psalm 116:6 "God looks after the clueless" (non-inspired version)
Posted By: canvasback Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 10/29/11 05:27 PM
Last Dollar, probably shouldn't say this too loud but that sounds like my kind of hunting. Not a lot of planning but good fun regardless.

Too bad you didn't get a full 15 minutes in!
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 10/29/11 05:28 PM
If yer good yer good laugh
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 10/29/11 05:37 PM
grin
Posted By: tunes Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 10/29/11 06:50 PM
Hmmmmm,

The dog and I walked for three hours this morning and put up one hen. Maybe I should do a little less planning.

tunes
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 10/29/11 10:30 PM
I was sitting here reading this story when baby Sis pulls in the yard and says, "There's pheasants in the tree rows and I want one." I told her, "I'm reading about Last Dollar's pheasant hunt. Go grab a shotgun and shoot your own." "But I don't have a license", she whines. So I log out, grab the Ithaca 37 16 bore, and walk the center tree row because it's easier and I'm lazy today. Birds get up on the outside row and I try to get through a jungle and over a fence. When I get through the birds are now out of range but I fire one shot for effect anyway. Now I can finish your story.
Posted By: limapapa Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 10/29/11 11:18 PM
Chuck, I love your writing style--brief, like Hemingway but briefer, and lets the reader fill in all the gaps with his or her own experience. A very colorful story without a lot of fancy verbiage. As for the luck, take it when you can. One day about 20 years ago at Bonny a friend and I got a pheasant, two Canadas, and 10 mallards before noon on what was supposed to be a duck hunt. Go figure.

Mike P. (RM Vintagers)
Posted By: steve white Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 10/30/11 02:09 AM
I thought your Kansas pheasants were suffering because of the drought--had my hunting buddy cancel our trip this year because of report from game dept. about poor numbers!...
Posted By: RMC Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 10/30/11 02:45 AM
Chuck, Great story. I love fiction, this is one of the best. Randy
Posted By: TwiceBarrel Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 10/30/11 02:46 AM
Word of caution: Kansas Wildlife Biologists are not known for their math skills and like most law enforcement types they would rather ride around and eat donuts than get into the rough stuff. If you want to know how the birds are ask the farmers in the area. They are on the land every day.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 10/30/11 06:21 AM
NEBRASKA , Guys, this hunt took place in Nebraska..
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 10/30/11 11:11 AM
RMC, No fiction there...It is what it was...RE: Kansas Pheasants. Most of the state ,especially South of I 70 will be poor hunting, due to the drought. Here in NW Kansas, I think this will be one of the best years we have ever had. Mild winter last year, higher than average spring rains, late wheat harvest all combined to produce a lot of birds. I am the Economic Development guy for the area and on my way to town a couple of days/week I see LOTS of Birds. Unfortunatly, last year was good as well and the invasion of hunters, has created a lot more posted ground. So unless arrangements ( I dont mean money changing hands) have been made in advance, its going to be tough to find a place to hunt. Southwest Nebraska shares the same good fortune in terms of birds as we do. I see many flocks of Prairie Chickens as well, a great sight, since we had so few for so long.Kansas does do a great job of providing lots of Walk in access so that will help the guys who just show up...I'll hit Nebraska again on Monday afternoon, and hunt the guys place we get hay from...He is not a Democrat...
Posted By: Sam Ogle Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 10/30/11 11:32 AM
Wonderful story!
Brings back memories of Hunting around Indianola, NE, not far from Binkleman. Great People there, and used to be (maybe still are) birds.
George Cornwell and I had a lot of good times.
George is gone now, but the warm memories remain.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE
Posted By: FHALZ@AOL.COM Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 10/30/11 06:23 PM
Great story. I love it when planning goes bad but the hunt goes well. Thanks again, Frank
Posted By: Brian Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 11/03/11 02:44 AM
perfect!
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 11/03/11 09:04 AM
What Orwell said...somtimes..
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 11/03/11 01:42 PM
Needless to say the bird's were Democrats also hence there proximity to the "feed lot" and "loafing shed". smile
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 11/03/11 08:30 PM
I never thought of that!
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 11/03/11 11:03 PM
Now Chuckie, you take care of them redbirds till we git thar next month. (One of the best reads on the BBS in a LONG time!)
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Careful Planning Pays Off! - 11/06/11 05:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Last Dollar
I'll hit Nebraska again on Monday afternoon, and hunt the guys place we get hay from...He is not a Democrat...

Democratic hay if it didn't kill the cows would make them lazy....
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com