doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Thierry Engraving on "large" shotgun receiver - 02/20/07 11:45 PM
Hello,

I engrave that Kolar sometime ago. The gun is still in the white; I think it was grey later on. Please tell me what you think.

Good work indeed sir!
This BBS is for craftsmen - and owd Lowell doesn't even own a hammer!
Posted By: Thierry Re: Engraving on "large" shotgun receiver - 02/21/07 12:21 AM
I shall get you one. LOL
Posted By: RMC Re: Engraving on "large" shotgun receiver - 02/21/07 12:30 AM
This is the fun part of this BBS. Seeing all the talent thats sitting out there. Thanks for sharing, keep it coming. Randy
Posted By: Hansli Re: Engraving on "large" shotgun receiver - 02/21/07 12:45 AM

C'est le pied.
Posted By: Thierry Re: Engraving on "large" shotgun receiver - 02/21/07 01:04 AM
N'est-ce pas!!
When have you ever seen the bird fly out of the gun?(as in the woodcock)
Posted By: tw Re: Engraving on "large" shotgun receiver - 02/21/07 02:36 AM
The treatment of the inlaid woodcock and quail, but particularly the woodcock is a very distinct and perhaps almost unique approach to engraving, and the inlays' detail is wonderfully executed from what I can see on my screen. I think with a deep gray finish the inlays would be even more stunning. It is a very nice pattern and design and the gold line work also looks to be flawless. The woodcock is benefiting from some form of Escheresque visual depth perception illusion to make it fly out out of the floral plane, but I am not exactly quite seeing how it was achieved. I like it.
Posted By: Thierry Re: Engraving on "large" shotgun receiver - 02/21/07 03:06 AM
Thank you,
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Engraving on "large" shotgun receiver - 02/21/07 03:08 AM
As a rule I don't find gold work attractive but that woodcock is a stunner. I could see having just that single bird on the bottom of my gun. The grouse is also wonderfully renedered, really nice detail but the 3D quality of the woodcock is a winner.

Please show us the other side!
Posted By: Thierry Re: Engraving on "large" shotgun receiver - 02/21/07 03:38 AM
Here is the other side:

Posted By: Thierry Re: Engraving on "large" shotgun receiver - 02/21/07 05:50 PM
Here is an other Kolar without gold:

Posted By: Rocketman Re: Engraving on "large" shotgun receiver - 02/21/07 07:41 PM
Man, that is good. Times like this make me really wish I had more artistic bent so I could have an inkling why these are so effective. I may not know why, but I do know they are!! I'm proud to see such work from modern day artisans!!
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Engraving on "large" shotgun receiver - 02/21/07 08:14 PM
Would you like to practice on my Perazzi?
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Engraving on "large" shotgun receiver - 02/21/07 08:17 PM
Posted By: Thierry Re: Engraving on "large" shotgun receiver - 02/21/07 08:31 PM
Originally Posted By: PALUNC

Sure. Tell me more.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Engraving on "large" shotgun receiver - 02/21/07 08:39 PM
Thierry,

Not trying to pry, but is this work being done directly for Kolar? If so, do you sign your work? I am looking at a Kolar with similar engraving.

Best,
Ken
Posted By: Thierry Re: Engraving on "large" shotgun receiver - 02/21/07 08:56 PM
Yes, it was done directly for Kolar, both of them. I sign what I do when I think about it, sorry, I am not well organize and I all too often forget but I am getting better.
Posted By: JM Re: Engraving on "large" shotgun receiver - 02/23/07 01:45 AM
Thierry, your work is just exquisite! I love a nice flowing scroll pattern. I especially love the second receiver pic you posted.

With folks like you, Barry Hands, and Ken Hurst each sharing your artistic talents who could ask for more? Well, come to think of it, actually I could ask for more, to own such a masterpiece.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Thierry Re: Engraving on "large" shotgun receiver - 02/23/07 03:45 AM
Thank you
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com