doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: John Roberts Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/11/14 07:42 PM
Like many of you here, I always pronounced AyA as "ay wye ay". In the past few years, I've come to respect the fact that this is an abbreviation of the founders' two last names, Miguel Aguirre and Nicolas Aranzabal.

My point is that we should call these guns by their correct name, and that is A and A, which is what AyA means. What say ye?
JR
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/11/14 08:23 PM
Too-many syllabels and a bit of a tongue-twister. Even worse than U-gar-te-cha-ah! I'll freely admit that the use of the founder's names is more-proper, but AyA is fully within the gun-language lexicon now. What is gained by changing it?
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/11/14 09:30 PM
Mr. Roberts: So much for my close-reading skills. To your point, A and A isn't so bad, but it seems we are anglicizing things a bit much? These are Spanish guns after all.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/11/14 09:58 PM
In Maine, they just pronounce it "Ah-yah", accent on the last syllable.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/11/14 11:27 PM
And a gun snob might say, "Well, it's not an English gun, so who really GaF".
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/11/14 11:33 PM
I certainly don't GaF. I heard a guy at the local gun club say he has a pair of "ahhh-eeeee-ahhhh's". Result....immediate eye roll.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/11/14 11:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
Mr. Roberts: So much for my close-reading skills. To your point, A and A isn't so bad, but it seems we are anglicizing things a bit much? These are Spanish guns after all.

But "A and A" IS the Spanish way to say AyA, isn't it? The letter "y" means "and" in Spanish.
JR
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/12/14 01:33 AM
I believe the spanish pronounciation would be ah e ah.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/12/14 02:38 AM
Do A and A guns have polished action flats?
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/12/14 04:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Do A and A guns have polished action flats?

Aye.
JR
Posted By: kimbo Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/12/14 04:30 AM
Jerry's pronunciation is correct... Ah e Ah.

Say it at conversation speed and you get the familiar Ah yah.

If you ere to use the proper names of the founders of the company, it would still lead to mispronunciation, as the "z" in Aranzabel actually has the "th" Castillian lisp sound and most people ould not kno better.

Let's call it a day and be happy with Ah e Ah.
Posted By: kimbo Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/12/14 04:31 AM
Jerry's pronunciation is correct... Ah e Ah.

Say it at conversation speed and you get the familiar Ah yah.

If you were to use the proper names of the founders of the company, it would still lead to mispronunciation, as the "z" in Aranzabel actually has the "th" Castillian lisp sound and most people would not know better.

Let's call it a day and be happy with Ah e Ah.
Posted By: kimbo Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/12/14 04:38 AM
Mr. Lape is correct, the pronounciation is "Ah ee Ah".

If you were to use the founder's proper names, there would still be confusion, as the "Z" in Aranzabel is pronounced "th" (as per Weiland) due to the "Castillian lisp" and most people would not know better. I dare you to say it three times in a row in that fashion and you too will agree that it does sound a little too "Brokeback Mountain" for the average upland hunter types.

Let's leave it at "Ah ee Ah" and be happy to call it a day.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/12/14 05:43 AM
LOL , bye
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/12/14 11:00 AM
Speaking of pronunciation . . . first time I ever saw a Darne on a table at a gun show (I'd previously seen them in France), the dealer told me that the correct pronunciation was "Darnay". I told him that that might be the American version, but that wasn't the way they said it in France.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/12/14 11:31 AM
I read Terry Weiland's SPANISH BEST some years ago, and recall him mentioning the pronunciation of the maker's full names. I believe it was something to the effect of Ah-gwi-ray ee Ah-rahn-tha-bal (with the emphasis on the "tha").

Practice saying it so that it flows off your tongue and you'll get raised eyebrows at the gun club. Important to keep a straight face when you do, as if you use that name often. "Ah-ee-ah" will have folks thinking you're a cajun, 'roun heah, specially if you emphasize the "ee". grin

SRH
Posted By: halifax Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/12/14 12:39 PM
Jerry V Lape, you are correct with the pronunciation of AyA.
Posted By: Tim Cartmell Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/12/14 03:22 PM
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
In Maine, they just pronounce it "Ah-yah", accent on the last syllable.

It seems the folks in Maine have it right. That's the way the Spanish pronounce it at the AyA factory.

AyA factory

Tim
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/12/14 04:08 PM
Well, you guys that insist on speaking like some European can say "ah e ah" like Tarzan all day long and get the commensurate snicker and eye-roll. The American translation for AyA is "A and A", which not only sounds a whole lot better, but is correct on this side of the pond, as well as keeping you from sounding like some "in the know", high-browed Yankee goober.
JR
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/12/14 04:21 PM
It's Jag-waar, not Jack-u-hour too.

One of my heros was Dick Irvin Jr., who refused to give the French pronunciation to 'Roy'. It was never Patrick Waaa, just Patrick Roy.

Posted By: James M Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/12/14 09:43 PM
Jerry may well be correct. However; I think I'd feel like I should be swinging thru the jungle on a vine every time I said it! grin
I have multiple "AHH EE AHHs" and frankly I believe they shoot better then the name sounds!
Jim
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/13/14 01:11 AM
Actually, the "Maine pronunciation" would "pass" in many Spanish-speaking places.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/13/14 03:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

Only by people who pronounce Porsche as "Porsh"!

My favorite butchery of Jaguar is "Jagwire". A local used car dealership that specialized in high end sport & luxury cars used to run radio adds where the spokesman repeatedly mentioned Ferrari, "Jagwire" & "Porsh" vehicles for sale.

I was always hoping they would get an Iso Rivolta or Bizzarrini in stock so I could hear how he handled those on the air.

Posted By: James M Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/13/14 03:55 PM
Quote:
"It's Jag-waar, not Jack-u-hour too."

I have heard to pronounced Jack-u-hour by members of the British automotive industry.(see link)
Frankly I've always thought that Jag-waar was the American pronunciation.
Jim

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/first-drive-jaguars-new-f-448364
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/14/14 04:53 PM
Going by the British pronunciation of any foreign word is the sure way to an international incident.

Why do you THINK they had to have so many gunboats back in the day? (The only foreign language they spoke well was Armstrong Vickers.)

Exaggeration and slander, of course, but man, could they mangle other languages when they took them into English. Almost as good as our California "Passerohbuls" for Paso Robles!
Posted By: Salopian Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/14/14 06:05 PM
The Design Director of Jaguar is Scottish, so he is unable to speak English.
The CORRECT English pronunciation is "Jag you are ".
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/14/14 07:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Brittany Man
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

Only by people who pronounce Porsche as "Porsh"!

My favorite butchery of Jaguar is "Jagwire". A local used car dealership that specialized in high end sport & luxury cars used to run radio adds where the spokesman repeatedly mentioned Ferrari, "Jagwire" & "Porsh" vehicles for sale.

I was always hoping they would get an Iso Rivolta or Bizzarrini in stock so I could hear how he handled those on the air.

Sometime in summer 1967 I recall seeing a Bizzarrini Strada parked on the Via Veneto. It made Stan Mot's Pignatelli look plain. Later that evening it passed us on the autostrada. We were cruising around 100 and suddenly it was like the sun came up behind us and it passed us at what seemed like that much again. Impressive.....
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Aguirre and Aranzabal ( AyA) - 03/14/14 08:44 PM
"Jag you are "

oh, bollocks...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com