doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SXS 40 CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/07/19 06:10 AM
Fast approaching, first weekend in April. Lots of shooting and great guns on display. Side by Side rifle shoot as well. Follow link for information packet.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-M73E1Y24h0jv_SaWqnfiER1AZWF6gYA
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/07/19 08:03 PM
Anyone here attending?
Posted By: gil russell Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/07/19 11:40 PM
I think most of us are in awe that shotguns are still legal over there! Keep up the good work!
Posted By: mark Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/08/19 01:15 AM
Sounds like Fun but I will be in Tulsa.

Have a good shoot!
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/09/19 04:39 AM

Don't get me started. As of July this year, a finger print and background check required for the purchase of 1 round or more of any kind of ammunition. The dealer can charge a fee for this. Lead shells for any type of hunting is now banned, including game preserves. No mail order ammunition can be shipped directly to consumer, must go to a dealer. They have proposed a 1 gun a month regulation for long guns (already in place for handguns) that works well for collectors. There are 14 new anti gun bills under consideration since the first of the year. I could go on, but you get the idea.
I am a CA dealer (not by trade-I am an engineer). Had my lic for about 24 years. The regulations have not yet been adopted for ammo. I received a copy of the proposed regs, could not understand them. Sent a copy to my brother the lawyer...he couldn’t understand them either. It is a disaster here and only going to get worse with Gavin Newsom.
But please do not give up on us, we are fighting to the bitter end through the CRPA and NRA. As California goes so does the nation. We just need to get to the Supreme Court on all of this stuff and not I’ll wishing I’ll will to Ginsberg, but The old lady has to go

Btw the SXS gathering is a great event. Lots of shooting, nice show and tell displays and a lot of like minded people. If you in CA and like sxs, you should join us.
Jerry
We also have a Parker vs L. C. Smith challenge
Posted By: LGF Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/09/19 09:22 AM
The California lunacy has particular implications for those who have always mail-ordered specialty ammo for our old guns. When I inquired from RST a few months ago, they had not yet found a CA retailer from whom we could buy direct. And given the size of the state, they would really need one in the south and one in the north.

I expect attempts to curtail reloading coming next.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/09/19 03:27 PM
"As California goes so does the nation."

I sure hope not...Geo
Posted By: Replacement Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/09/19 05:03 PM
CA is so totally eff'd up right now that there is currently a 101-post thread in the C&R section on CalGunsNet about whether the CA DOJ can require photos of C&R bolt action rifles for registration by 03 FFLs. DOJ is inconsistently insistent on photos, but no one can find anything in the regs that requires or even allows this. Even the simplest questions about ammo purchases or transfers generate a multitude of answers. Very few people at DOJ seem to have any idea what they are doing. It's so bad here that the new laws make it a crime to give your blind partner a couple of shells if he runs out during a hunt. That transfer has to go through an FFL. If your buddy's gun breaks a firing pin out in the boonies, you can't legally loan him your backup for the day. Be thankful that you are not here.
Posted By: gil russell Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/09/19 05:20 PM
Not "blind" as in can't see...
This is totally amazing how a great state has been degraded into this in just a generation...
The people in charge in CA are sick!
Posted By: LeFusil Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/09/19 08:19 PM
I was in Norcal (Monterey) this past week visiting my son and his wife. I’ll be honest......I was completely surprised and proud to see the U.S. Flag being flown so prominently out there, at many different locations. It was refreshing. I do feel bad for the gun/hunting/sporting community out there, they’re completely outnumbered by the lunatics and hippies. Such a beautiful area, and the “regular” folks seem to be pretty damn good people. I was sitting at a bar having a couple cocktails and the fella sitting next to me was a “artisan” pot grower. That was an interesting conversation. Very enlightening. He told me he voted against recreational pot, said Cali was already full up on burnouts of all ages. I had no idea that the cities and not the counties controlled so much of the trade. There are still some towns, cities and counties that are hanging on to some sanity.
I feel for ya’ll out there, I really do. It’s a shame such a cool & beautiful place is overrun with lunatics.
Same thing in Minnesota, Dustin. Two or three blue spots on the map, in a sea of red. But, those blue spots are the population centers, and the damn state ends up with the craziest liberals in charge. There is a huge brawl developing in St. Paul, as I speak, about some rather draconian gun control laws the liberals are hell bent on putting into place. We dodged a bullet, so to speak, when republicans held onto the senate. Pretty sure nothing will pass, but, it gives a glimpse into the sick minds on the other side.
I’ve got to make it 6-10 more years. Souix Falls is looking pretty good from where I stand, today. I am nearly positive I won’t be able to retire, here.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Replacement Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/09/19 09:08 PM
Quote:
I was completely surprised and proud to see the U.S. Flag being flown so prominently out there, at many different locations. It was refreshing.

That is somewhat unusual in most of coastal CA. But, places like Monterey and San Diego are exceptions because there are so many active and retired military in those places. Monterey is not too far from Vandenberg, and San Diego, aside from the huge Navy presence, is home to Pendleton. There are huge military installations all over the state in odd places like NAS El Centro (Blue Angels winter training field), or China Lake. There is even a Naval Surface Warfare Center on a small lake in Norco, which is horse country. My niece got married in their ballroom. The state is not hopeless yet, but it is hopeless adjacent.
Posted By: Goillini Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/09/19 09:43 PM
Be glad you don't live in Illinois. We have Democrat controlled House and Senate plus Democrat Governor and all other Constitutional offices. The new gun control bills are coming so fast and furious it's hard to keep up.
Not quite-_ San Diego hosts the MCRD "Boot Camp" and across the Bay, the USN has their "Boot Camp"-- Camp Pendleton is a few clicks North from San Diego. When I went through "Boot" in the early 1960's-- 19 weeks of Training- we were "TURDS" to the DI's-- military term for "Trainees Undergoing Recruit Discipline"

We were Transported by bus from MCRD up to Pendleton for 3 weeks of rifle training- Camp Matthews Range facility-- then back to San Diego for the rest of the 19 weeks- after Graduation, and base liberty for the rest of the week-end, Monday we were shipped back up to Pendleton for 8 more weeks of ITR training- then assigned to our MOS training stations--

Boy did it piss off the DI's- when we were drilling especially at night, all the jets coming and going over the bay to and from Lindbergh Field-- the roar of the engines drowned out their voices- big time-- RWTF
Posted By: Replacement Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/10/19 01:40 AM
Quote:
Camp Pendleton is a few clicks North from San Diego.

True, but Pendleton North and Pendleton South are both surrounded by San Diego County. To those of us not in San Diego, everything south of San Clemente is San Diego.
Posted By: Chukarman Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/10/19 02:43 AM
I am a California native, life member and former director of CWA, former member of the California Side by Side Assn, Cal Trout member, etc. I am done. By the end of May I plan on being an Arizona resident.

Gavin Newsom is a horse's ass - a privileged, upper class politician who will do whatever it takes to get into office and stay there. California is screwed.
Posted By: Replacement Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/10/19 03:05 AM
Gruesome Newsom is also an alcoholic adulterer who grossly violated the guy code by boinking the brains out of his campaign manager's wife while the campaign manager was out trying to get Newsom elected mayor of San Francisco. His excuse after the fact was that they didn't know what they were doing because they were both so drunk. Presidential aspirations, my ass. First he was screwing her, now he's trying to screw the rest of us.

Quote:
Rippey-Tourk incident
Newsom had an affair with his secretary Ruby Rippey Tourk—the wife of his campaign manager and good friend.[57]

On January 31, 2007, Newsom's campaign manager and former deputy chief of staff, Alex Tourk, resigned after confronting Newsom over a sexual affair the mayor had with his wife in late 2005.[58] At the time of the affair, Newsom was undergoing a divorce with Guilfoyle and Rippey-Tourk worked in Newsom's office as the Mayor's aide for commission appointments.[59] After leaving her job in Newsom's office in August 2006, Tourk received $10,154 in catastrophic illness pay, which is usually reserved for those who are terminally ill;[60] after an investigation by the San Francisco City attorney; however, Newsom and all those involved were later cleared of legal wrongdoing.[60]

Newsom apologized for the affair at a news conference on February 1, 2007, saying, "I hurt someone I care deeply about, Alex Tourk, his friends and family, and that is something that I have to live with and something that I am deeply sorry for." After being approached by concerned colleagues, he announced that he would seek treatment for alcohol abuse.[61] Newsom later said that the difficult times during the exposing of the affair refocused him and allowed him to better appreciate being mayor.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayoralty_of_Gavin_Newsom
Replacement, your right things are screwed up, you wrong about some of your statements about loaning shells our guns...but it really isn’t clear.

You can’t shell shells to your friend ,but you can,give them some, or it seems. Again you can lend a gun, but there are rules a bunch of bs.
Not sure if I will every really figure them out, until it is too late.

Give $ to CRPA
JERRY
Posted By: Replacement Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/10/19 05:13 AM
My comments are accurate as of a few months ago when I last read the regs. Recall that there were two competing propositions on the ballot, one by Newsom and another with the same general direction but differing provisions. Since both were passed, the courts tried to sort out which would prevail and I don't know if the actual implementation has yet been clarified. As an example, one proposition prohibited bringing any ammo from out of state, the other prohibited bringing more than 50 rounds from out of state. Which is the actual law? Who knows? There was rather extensive discussion of potential border enforcement on some of the CA outdoor boards before the fall hunting seasons, but there was no consensus about what was legal, how it would be enforced, or even if it would be enforced. I was never checked on multiple trips back from AZ, but my FFL told me that his sources said someone had been nailed for "importing" ammo and was in a world of hurt because of it. Don't know the details, but this FFL is pretty reliable.

Re giving shells to your friend, when I read the regs they said you cannot "transfer" shells without involving an FFL or licensed ammo dealer. Giving your friend some shells is a transfer, so is it legal? May depend on who catches you doing it.

Re loaning a gun to you friend in the field, this is from the CA.gov website:
Quote:
AB 1511, Santiago. Firearms: lending.
Existing law generally requires the loan of a firearm to be conducted through a licensed firearms dealer. A violation of this provision is a crime. Existing law exempts from this requirement a loan of a firearm between persons who are personally known to each other, if the loan is infrequent and does not exceed 30 days in duration.
This bill would instead limit that exemption to the loan of a firearm to a spouse or registered domestic partner, or to a parent, child, sibling, grandparent, or grandchild, related as specified. The bill would require a handgun loaned pursuant to these provisions to be registered to the person loaning the handgun. By expanding the application of an existing crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.

So, as I read this, you could loan your friend a gun for brief periods under the old law, but now you can loan a gun only to someone who is related to you.

Quote:
THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

SECTION 1. Section 27880 of the Penal Code is amended to read:
27880. Section 27545 does not apply to the loan of a firearm if all of the following requirements are satisfied:
(a) The loan is to a spouse, registered domestic partner, or any of the following relations, whether by consanguinity, adoption, or steprelation:
(1) Parent.
(2) Child.
(3) Sibling.
(4) Grandparent.
(5) Grandchild.
(b) The loan is infrequent, as defined in Section 16730.
(c) The loan is for any lawful purpose.
(d) The loan does not exceed 30 days in duration.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB1511
This link is as of right now. I have seen no indication that the law has been modified since Brown signed it.
Gavin Nuisance is govenor of CA.
Posted By: Replacement Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/10/19 05:45 PM
Quote:

Newsom is governor now, but Brown signed that bullshit into law, and a lot of it was Newsom's idea.
Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:

Newsom is governor now, but Brown signed that bullshit into law, and a lot of it was Newsom's idea.

Seems that entire Brown clan is a pain in the arse. Send them all back to Scotland.

Posted By: Replacement Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/10/19 07:20 PM
Quote:
Seems that entire Brown clan is a pain in the arse. Send them all back to Scotland.

Brown is now retired to a new house he had built on the family ranch in Colusa. Colusa, you say? Why, that is smack dab in the middle of the best waterfowl hunting in the western US. What a waste.
Posted By: LGF Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/11/19 12:31 PM
I considered loading up on target shells at the Cabelas just over the border near Reno. However, a close friend and firearms lawyer told me that CA has spotters at the store looking for people loading ammo into CA-licensed cars, which are then stopped at the border check station, with serious consequences. I can't vouch for the veracity of this rumor.
Originally Posted By: LGF
I considered loading up on target shells at the Cabelas just over the border near Reno. However, a close friend and firearms lawyer told me that CA has spotters at the store looking for people loading ammo into CA-licensed cars, which are then stopped at the border check station, with serious consequences. I can't vouch for the veracity of this rumor.

Just hide the shells in bales of weed.

My Grandpa taught me that.

Posted By: Replacement Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/11/19 01:27 PM
If shotgun shells were not so heavy, there would be an opportunity to "import" them via drones. This state has gone completely nuts. Someone needs to challenge this crap in court. Anyone heard anything new about the Kim Rhode/NRA suit?
Posted By: LGF Re: CAIFORNIA SIDE BY SIDE CHAMPIONSHIP - 03/11/19 04:22 PM
Lonesome, no one smokes That much.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com