doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lloyd3 90 days till Ruffed Grouse opener - 06/23/23 04:35 PM
Well, 90 days was actually a few days ago now, but what-the-heck...the realization is still just as good, right? Not wishing my life away, but seriously looking forward to Fall here.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: 90 days till Ruffed Grouse opener - 06/23/23 05:21 PM
It’s always good to have something to look forward to.

But you should still use every one of these beautiful days of summer to full effect.

You just don’t get them back.
Hope we get an early frost or two. I hate wearing bug dope when grouse hunting.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: nca225 Re: 90 days till Ruffed Grouse opener - 06/23/23 10:55 PM
Thankfully I can pass the time until then by trout fishing.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 90 days till Ruffed Grouse opener - 06/23/23 11:58 PM
Fortunately, I don't have to wait that long for my lifetime love ........... dove shooting.

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdo...mp;msg=2023+GA+Dove+season&font=slab
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: 90 days till Ruffed Grouse opener - 06/26/23 10:33 AM
Yesterday I pickup up our new to us, 1 year old started French Brittany. Counting the days as well Lloyd!!

Bill
Posted By: ed good Re: 90 days till Ruffed Grouse opener - 06/27/23 12:52 PM
see ed1 listings on gb for a few grouse/quail guns...for sale...

say you saw it here, so dave gits paid...
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: 90 days till Ruffed Grouse opener - 06/27/23 12:55 PM
After wanting to do it for a long time, I just booked my first grouse/woodcock trip. Very excited about it!
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: 90 days till Ruffed Grouse opener - 06/27/23 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Dan S. W.
After wanting to do it for a long time, I just booked my first grouse/woodcock trip. Very excited about it!
Where too? Looking like a good season might be coming in the upper midwest.
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: 90 days till Ruffed Grouse opener - 06/27/23 04:37 PM
I originally tried to book a guide in the UP, but that fell through. I am now headed to western NY state. Hoping for at least a couple of opportunities at birds...but would be happy just to bag one.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: 90 days till Ruffed Grouse opener - 06/27/23 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Dan S. W.
I originally tried to book a guide in the UP, but that fell through. I am now headed to western NY state. Hoping for at least a couple of opportunities at birds...but would be happy just to bag one.

I don't know anything about NY, but with luck they will have good birds too.

I know what you mean about getting just one being a success. 2 seasons back, I went grousing for the first time in 50 yrs. I wanted just one. I got it within 100 yds of the truck on the first morning. Ended up with 20 on the season in two trips. That pretty much doubled my lifetime take.

Best of luck.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: 90 days till Ruffed Grouse opener - 06/27/23 08:01 PM
FWIW, you can hunt Ruffed grouse and Sharptailed grouse in the east end of MI’s UP in October.
Flights of woodcock come twittering in most evenings in the right places.

We have many GEM properties that are managed for Ruffed grouse, and I bet you could find a host pretty easily.
Karl, and I seem to be able to bumble around and have some fun up there the last few years.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: 90 days till Ruffed Grouse opener - 06/27/23 08:56 PM
CZ,
80 days and counting to "Grousemas"! Hoping for another enjoyable outing. Watching the Woodcock flights come in after dinner by the firepit was outstanding.
Karl
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: 90 days till Ruffed Grouse opener - 06/27/23 09:41 PM
Ted should of copywritten "Grousemas". I use it too.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: 90 days till Ruffed Grouse opener - 06/27/23 11:39 PM
I think Grousmas had its genesis in the prairie grouse opener of Nebraska.
First person I recall celebrating it was a guy named…Voss?

I coined “Sharptail Shindig” for a high plains gathering in Plentywood that regrettably, I could never attend.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com