doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Vol423 S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand - 04/22/24 07:42 PM
https://imgur.com/gallery/JCDmUGg

I bought this gun just because it is a nitro proved left handed hammer gun. And it's in 16 gauge, one I like. The barrels are steel, marked Essen. Anything else some of you experts can tell me about the gun would be appreciated.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand - 04/22/24 10:54 PM
[Linked Image from thumbs2.imgbox.com]

Pure Ferlacher from 1926 Jani will have to inform us of how many of those Southpaws were rolled out. Krupp steel rolled in Ferlach too. 1st pass in 1925 @ 13.5mm and then final pass in 1926. Dolphin style tall hammer, sideclips; what is not to like. Does the top lever rotate left?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand - 04/22/24 10:54 PM
Can you pleasure us with a tube length?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand - 04/22/24 11:00 PM
I have seen that infinity (∞) with the ends cut out many times but for now I cannot attribute it to one single mechanic. Maybe on at the Ferlacher Maschinenhaus?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Vol423 Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand - 04/23/24 12:12 PM
Barrels are 28,5". Toplever opens to the right. The stock is cast on and length of pull is 13.75". That's short for me but the bead is perfectly visible with no rib showing. I'll need to pattern it to see what adjustments if any, are needed. Weight is 6 lb 6 oz.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand - 04/23/24 01:12 PM

If I read the number correctly, the tubeset weighed 1410 grammes on the final pass.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: 12boreman Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand - 04/23/24 05:54 PM
if it has a cheek piece is it on the right side?
Posted By: ellenbr Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand - 04/23/24 06:01 PM

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand - 04/23/24 06:09 PM

Just Got to like those lovely, lovely hammers....

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: 12boreman Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand - 04/23/24 08:23 PM
Nice! Its very difficult to find anything with the cheek piece on the right hand side for a left handed shooter.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand - 04/25/24 08:20 PM
I'm not normally a German gun guy but....I like it. Six pounds six makes for a useful gun afield and being a southpaw makes it interesting to me to see that cheekpiece.

Have you shot it yet?
Posted By: Vol423 Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand - 04/28/24 08:16 AM
I shot it yesterday with 2-1/2" light handloads in Fiocchi cases. The shell jumps the extractor after firing. [censored - come on man!] of a job to remove the case. Crimped the rim with slip joint plier. I will try other cases. I have some RSTs. At worst I'll have to have the extractor built up and maybe the rim recess recut.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand - 04/28/24 08:48 PM
Austrian weapons are typically overlooked and a deal in quality. Too, try the Federal cartridges made in France w/ Cheddite hulls I think. I believe #8s are the only option I have found. In the tight chambered Austrian & German guns I have found that some brass is quite tight. Bio-Ammo is one....

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com