doublegunshop.com - home
I have a Bernardelli Italia Extra hammer gun on which the tip of the hammer spur has broken off. It's engraved and pierced and according to two very well known and reputable gunsmiths to whom I've sent the gun for repair, it's not repairable and the tip of the other spur is likely to similarly depart if I continue shooting the gun.

Having a hammer made from scratch is cost prohibitive for a gun of this level of value. The quote I got to file up a pair is about 3/4 of what I have in the gun.

I was wondering if there is someone out there who makes "replacement" hammers that come without the hole for the pin and could be fitted to the gun. I'd prefer ones that are largely shaped and finished, but would consider those requiring some finish work. I definitely do not want to duplicate the existing engraving pattern, but would want the spurs properly checkered for a better grip with the thumb when cocking.

So, is there a source for such things? And if so, what measurements do I need to take to ensure I get a proper replacement set? And finally, what would be a reasonable estimate of the cost to fit them to the gun?

Thanks.

Rem
You need the throw of the hammer - ie the measurement of the center of the axle to the firing pin.

Replacement hammer castings are available - from peter dyson and E J blackley, Dysons are in my experience OK quality but require further work, blackleys are fantastic quality, but be prepared to be ignored for two years while he messes around presumably holidaying on your payment while you wait and wait and wait.
You might see if SKB can make you one. I vaguely recall him having some sort of duplicating machine that might work for you.
You may want to contact Charlie at Hill Rod and Guns.
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm happy to listen to more if there are any.
Remington40x,
Another suggestion, get another hammer similar to the broken one, but with enough "meat" to allow filing to match; and have the broken one repaired by cutting the thumbpiece off the new one, welding it onto the broken one and dressed/checked/colored to match. It will fit, no problem.
Mike
I can make you a hammer if you can't find one.
Dixie Gun Works has a decent selection of replacement hammers. I believe they have semi finished and basic rough castings. You might find something that will work.
I shopped at Dixie regularly all through the '70s and '80s and I was always very pleased with their products and service.
https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24069/Forging

May be worth a phone call or email to these people.
Bernardelli are still operating in italy. They might have spares from the old models. Also try Omps in Italy they are the main shotgun spares people.
If you can get any help from those turks that own Bernardell, than you probably raise the dead too!

John Boyd

It's not the same as before
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com