doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 7shortmag Restoring Case Hardening Coloring - 05/08/19 11:23 AM
Stevens 5100 12 Ga. Double
I am not sure if i used the correct terminology for the case coloring. Most of you will know what I am talking about, the colorong on the receiver of a Stevens SXS.
Mine is boogered, and it does not look very nice.
What are my options for restoring the coloration on the receiver?

.....or......

Polish the receiver and use cold blue to make it a solid color.

thanks!!
Posted By: Woodreaux Re: Restoring Case Hardening Coloring - 05/08/19 01:14 PM
The basic options are:
1. Restore case hardening colors, which requires repeat of the hardening process.
2. Try to replicate case hardened colors with chemicals, which generally misses the mark in my opinion. Several new guns are sold this way.
3. Strip +/- color with bluing solution.
4. Clean it up and call it patina...

If you decide to restore the colors, there are several professionals who specialize in this. It's probably not worth the time and equipment and learning curve for you to do it yourself especially if for just one gun. There are YouTube videos that can give you an idea of what you would be getting into.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Restoring Case Hardening Coloring - 05/08/19 01:52 PM
The best solution is Jim's #4. You can have it very nicely colored, but you wouldn't like the price.
Mike
Posted By: Mark II Re: Restoring Case Hardening Coloring - 05/08/19 02:16 PM
The price of re-coloring your frame will be approximately the value of the whole gun. It originally was hardened by a cyanide process and that is harder to find someone to do than someone to do it by charcoal pack.
Posted By: Woodreaux Re: Restoring Case Hardening Coloring - 05/08/19 02:48 PM
Count mine as a vote for a good clean up and putting some of your own 'handling marks' on it.

Going down my previous list:
1. Too expensive and might look odd to have fresh colors unless you also refinish the stock and re-black the barrels
2. Often looks like costume jewelry to my eye. Also same issue with mismatch look of the frame and the barrels and other bits
3. Will forfeit the vintage look of the rest of the gun, if that matters to you.
4. Nearly free. You can learn a little about cleaning up metal. Keeps the history of the gun 'apparent'. But if it truly looks ugly to your eye now, this obviously is the worst choice.
Posted By: 7shortmag Re: Restoring Case Hardening Coloring - 05/08/19 06:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Der Ami
The best solution is Jim's #4. You can have it very nicely colored, but you wouldn't like the price.
Mike

What is Jims #4, where do I get it?
Is there a web page?
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Restoring Case Hardening Coloring - 05/08/19 09:13 PM
7shortmag,
It is Jim Woodreaux's 4th comment in the posting directly ahead of my posting quoted by you.
Mike
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Restoring Case Hardening Coloring - 05/08/19 10:16 PM
That was a good one smile
Gunshop list.....
I'd like a 16oz bottle of Hoppes #9, & a small jar of Jims #4 smile
Posted By: Woodreaux Re: Restoring Case Hardening Coloring - 05/08/19 10:51 PM
I need to patent and trademark that quickly
Posted By: 7shortmag Re: Restoring Case Hardening Coloring - 05/09/19 11:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Der Ami
7shortmag,
It is Jim Woodreaux's 4th comment in the posting directly ahead of my posting quoted by you.
Mike

Gotcha.
Thanks
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com