doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: JRAnderson Custom Falling Block - 05/18/12 03:36 AM
I didn't mention Ruger #1 in the title just in case there are those who have little interest in those rough castings. Just wanted to share that with a little work they can be the base of a fine custom rifle.

Roger Kehr helped me with the engraving on this project. I just wish my pics did his work justice.

Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Custom Falling Block - 05/18/12 04:05 AM
Very nice, I like it a lot. Don't tell anyone but I've had one myself but no where as nice as yours.
Posted By: Terry Buffum Re: Custom Falling Block - 05/18/12 04:34 AM
Your rifle is super!

I can see two near factory #1s from where I am sitting, in a rack with a Hagn, several 1885 Winchesters, two Borchardts, a Ballard and a couple of Martinis. I do have a custom #1 in the works - going retro with .50 x 3.25 chamber, nice custom wood in classic style. It will not approach yours in detail nor finish!
Posted By: gasgunner Re: Custom Falling Block - 05/18/12 11:47 AM
I really enjoy seeing your work James. Great job.

John
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Custom Falling Block - 05/18/12 02:12 PM
Nothing wrong with a well executed #1. This one is über nice!
Posted By: JRAnderson Re: Custom Falling Block - 05/18/12 02:43 PM
Thanks guys. I'm still thrilled that I get paid to do this. This kind of work doesn't usually happen without a great client that knows what he wants but is willing to take a few suggestions from the builder. For some reason the stock profile came out looking a little slimmer than most Rugers. I suppose the 14 3/4" pull doesn't hurt in that regard. There's not much that can be done without major surgery to open the grip without it looking bent from tangs to grip.

Roger Kehr has some better pics of his engraving on the build thread over on Accurate Reloading.
Custom Ruger No.1
Posted By: RHD45 Re: Custom Falling Block - 05/18/12 09:12 PM
Wow! Wonderful proportions that remind me of pre-war British styling.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com