doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jtplumb 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 07/26/23 01:57 PM
Just bought this one, German market gun with cocking indicators, horn insert and trigger guard also upgraded special 3 ring steel barrels. Doesn’t look like a screw has ever been turned and I don’t see many of these Sauers with horn guards like other German market guns? Can one of you explain the wild man crown thing to me again? I did just read something about hand regulating chokes were an option back in the day? 14.75 lop so I think this may be an original unmolested lighter 12ga? I hope it’s 6.5-7lbs will know in a week or so.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 07/26/23 04:34 PM
Jeff Stephens' List would put it having been issued a serial number @ the onset of WWI and Lyund's list a year or two later. But the position of the >>Nitro<< Stamp puts it @ least @ the end of WWI if not in the early 1920s.

The Crown is either a Quality Crown or a Shooting Performance Crown. This one just might be the latter, where it was taken to the range & tweaked.

The Horn triggerbow guard is typical for cold weather environs and is quite common on inland Sauers.

Nothing short with anything about this Sauer.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 07/26/23 04:38 PM
The Wildmann stamp is an old Sauer Process stamp, possibly a Quality type indicator, and I have seen as many as 4 on one tube early on..... On the underside of the left tube there looks to be a couple Wildmann stamps and another or two I just cannot make out. Then there's initials on the lower rib.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 07/26/23 05:54 PM
Thanks appreciate the info. This one is a little plain looking but seems to be very high quality work that’s not been screwed with. I do like the stars in the stippling quite a bit, hope those 3 ring barrels are light. Now I have 2 XIV the other one is VL&D with ejectors but weighs 7.5#.
If this was a 16ga I would be ecstatic!
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 07/26/23 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by ellenbr
Jeff Stephens' List would put it having been issued a serial number @ the onset of WWI and Lyund's list a year or two later. But the position of the >>Nitro<< Stamp puts it @ least @ the end of WWI if not in the early 1920s.

The Crown is either a Quality Crown or a Shooting Performance Crown. This one just might be the latter, where it was taken to the range & tweaked.

The Horn triggerbow guard is typical for cold weather environs and is quite common on inland Sauers.

Nothing short with anything about this Sauer.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

from memory, if there are two crowns, one will be somewhat larger than the other....and i believe the smaller is the quality mark, and the larger is the one for shooting performance. in this case, i think the crown is the smaller version.

best regards,

tom
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 07/26/23 09:58 PM
[Linked Image from i697.photobucket.com]

Here is the text that Geno posted.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 07/27/23 11:55 AM
[Linked Image from i697.photobucket.com]

It appears the Larger Crown as higher lobes and the Crown stamp of the subject longarm looks to have similar higher lobes?

https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=197052&Searchpage=1&Main=15668&Words=Woodsrunner38%27s&Search=true#Post197052

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 07/27/23 07:50 PM
Judging by size I would guess this one is the smaller of the 2 crowns but I could be wrong. Thanks all very helpful and interesting.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 07/28/23 10:40 AM
Again, this Sauer longarm just may have been issued a serial number around the onset of the 1st Great Disagreement in Europe, but it didn't pass thru the Suhl Proof facility till sometime between the End of WWI and the early 1920s.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 08/01/23 12:28 AM
Gun came in today 15in + lop. I was correct it is much lighter than my other.
Choked .015 .030. 2.75 chambers now someone opened up
Posted By: J.B.Patton Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 08/02/23 02:49 PM
You did well !
Best Regards,
JBP
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 08/02/23 02:58 PM
Thanks, I’m guessing this is just a standard frame. Not anything unique like a 12 on a 16. I documented measurements just in case one of you cared. I’m happy with this weight, no doubt.
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 09/11/23 12:50 AM
Put the old girl to a little use on pass shooting some doves today. Love the LM IM chokes.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 09/11/23 02:18 PM
I sure you kept her & yourself cool.........

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 09/11/23 04:21 PM
Jtplumb, Does this gun have a skeleton butt plate?
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 09/12/23 02:57 AM
Nope it’s old horn type after 15in lop of wood. Longest stock I have seen on prewar Shotgun.
Posted By: canvasback Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 10/10/23 01:37 AM
That one is lovely. Good to see it put to good used quickly.
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 10/14/23 05:33 PM
Thanks, having a hard time leaving this one home. It’s just about perfect for doves with 1oz load, hate to admit but best of all my 12s. I will have to buy me a 16ga Sauer pre war or Lindner with 28-30” barrels. Here is a rare 300e to heavy for me but wow restored it would be crazy. https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-2-3-4-quot-shotgun.cfm?gun_id=102470477
Posted By: J.B.Patton Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 10/20/23 01:17 PM
My V,L&D mo. 300e is serial number 252699 .
Bob Beach, retired from Griffin and Howe, informed me that it was listed in their gun log immediately after the one Kirby has listed.
The log book shows it ( 252698) was sold in Nov 1929 to Newport News Shipyard - mine was sold to a Z.C.Patten .
I love mine and has accounted for numerous ducks with modern 2 3/4” bismuth #4s- I would buy it but I have a pair of Lindner Diamond 10 bore hammer guns currently being addressed.
Best Regards,
JBP
Posted By: J.B.Patton Re: 1912 Sauer XIV questions - 10/20/23 01:36 PM
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Still looking for a suitable vintage case to house these in!
Best Regards,
JBP
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com