June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 439 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,490
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RWG Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The bond between man and his dog can not be broken, it resides in our hearts and minds. Rest easy, Big Henry resides within you.

RWG #121792 11/15/08 10:32 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very sorry for your loss. I always think of the following from a long gone author.
"A dog does not live as long as a man and this natural law is the fount of many tears. If boy and puppy might grow to manhood and doghood together, and together grow old, and so in due course die, full many a heartache might be avoided. But the world is not so ordered, and dogs will die and men will weep for them so long as there are dogs and men." BAW
Know that we who love dogs have been there and will be again

Last edited by Nitrah; 11/15/08 10:32 PM.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Nitrah #121800 11/15/08 11:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very sorry for your loss. I lost my 15 year old Beagle and first dog this summer. Get a new one - it definitely helps!

as one of God's creations, a dog is without doubt one of the best examples in terms of loyalty, consistency, and unbounded love and affection.

best regards

jameister

Jameister
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doug Waterman
Dubbletrubble-
We lost out 13+y/o Lab last year and I still find myself calling her name by mistake..(I've got her picture as a screen-saver, so I see her very day...)
When you can, could you tell us more about your wonderful friend's life?.....-Doug

Thanks to all for your kind words and stories. Henry was with me for 13 years. He was a VERY big boy for a Dale at 105 lbs. He was a gentle giant but fearless. He loved kids, cats, and anyone I said was OK. he HATED UPS, FEDEX and squirrels! At the age of 2 he blew out the ACL's in both his back legs so we had TPLO surgery done on both of them. It only slowed him down a little bit and he ended up a little bow legged because of it. But he never gave up. He got around just fine, but drew the line on playing with his "little" brother of 85 lbs. He was just too agile to keep up with. He lived longer than any of his siblings by 4-6 years. Some say a tribute to the love we gave him. When we lived in FL the heat would get to him and he would just go sit on the steps of the pool. Eventually he started to slow down and we were actually worried that the move to PA would not be good for him. However he loved it. The cooler temps and seeing snow for the first time were a treat for him. We actually think it added to his life span. He loved the woods we live in and he had plenty of critters to chase. I will never forget the look he had when he saw his first deer in the yard! Two years ago he fell victim to the Chinese dog food poisoning and both his bravery and a great vet pulled him through to live another day. However after that his bark was mute. He would throw his head back and bark but nothing would come out. It was pretty funny actually. We called it his "mime" bark. The last two years were hard for him. The old knees were giving out and he was having a hard time getting around and stairs were out. He never saw my basement workshop. About 6 months ago he started having trouble keeping food down, then in the last month he could not even keep down water. The two last weeks were double hard on both he and I. He could not walk very far to relieve himself and the last few days he would just wet himself, a most embarrassing situation for him. As a result I would carry him out to the woods every few hours and hold him up while he did his deeds. No easy task for my 58 years and at this time he weighed in at 85 lbs. It was a hard decision to make but the blood work told the tale. All his functions were shutting down and he couldn't and wouldn't eat anything at all. As my vet said, the end was near. It was my decision to let him go with dignity rather than starve to death. On that last day, his last tail wag was when the vet came to put him down. As he died, he licked my hand one last time and he was gone. Never to be forgotten. His ashes will now join my first Airedale, Harry. Some day his brothers ashes will be added to the mix and so on. In our last will, my wife and I have left instructions that our ashes too should be added to the mix so that we all could be united again.

Last edited by dubbletrubble; 11/17/08 09:04 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.