May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (graybeardtmm3, WJW), 264 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,561
Posts546,340
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#157633 08/11/09 06:26 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nov 17, 1906 Sporting Life
http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1906/VOL_48_NO_10/SL4810012.pdf
WOMAN AND THE GUN. By Mrs. Will K. Park
The King himself hath said it, but we in America do not agree. In heralding the fact that King Edward (VII) was to entertain two crowned heads with pheasant shooting in Windsor's Great Park a recent Associated Press dispatch concluded with the following
paragraph:
"It is perhaps not generally known that King Edward, though delighted to see the ladies when they join the shooting party at the out-of-doors luncheon, cherishes a deep aversion to having them with the guns, an antipathy shared to the full by Queen Alexandra."
To disagree with royalty might savor of treason in the Kingdom, but in this land of the brave we can with freedom wield the pen on behalf of the woman in the woods, and while we quite understand that the shooting abroad is totally different from American hunting, still the sweeping sentence of condemnation need not go unchallenged.
Shooting is mainly a recreation of the rich across the water, with the estates leased or owned, as the case may be, and house parties arranged for the full consummation of enjoyment of host, hostess and guests. Beaters drive the game toward the sportsmen and the bag is numbered by so many brace of birds, never in singles. The luncheon is a thing of joy, indeed, a matter of much moment, and at this function, in accordance with King Edward's decree, the ladies are welcome to join. They may disport themselves in natty tweeds and fashionable plaids during the noon hour, smilingly, pass the time of day with their lords and masters, then pouf! back to the house for a novel or a bon bon while the knickerbockered element settle to the real enjoyment and pleasure.
Well, we do things differently here; all hail to the winning American girl. In the first place, not yet does she need a private preserve to set off her charms. And brother's heavy gun has been known to serve as a fowling piece when her heart was set on a bunny, bird or squirrel, either of which are toothsome after the tramp in the woods with its fortunate ending. But if she has her own light-weight shotgun, all the better, and guided by either brother, husband or father bound towards farm land for quail, mountain for grouse or the uncut timber for deer, she is to be envied her chance to ungrudgingly enjoy the grand sport awaiting her good aim. Only very seldom does she care for a big bag, since, quite frequently, the creditable, cheerful work of the dogs holds her undivided attention, or the changing views in Autumn pictures, or again, the enticing hunt for mosses and ferns mean more to her artistic nature than the mere killing of a bird.
Nevertheless, birds were made to eat, and the successful pursuit of one Pennsylvania grouse over the side of a mountain, though brush and brier, O'er fence and log, fully entitles any Diana to feast on the remains, and consider it a just reward of the healthful quest.
The out-doors girl who means business revels in quail or grouse hunting. She would not shine as a tailor's model, for her good sense runs to corsetless rig of duck, denim or covert, with coat practically double, the back one pocket, each side another, all these quite in addition to the regulation outer pockets. Her sensible outfit, including stout shoes and close-fitting cap, permit of the comfortable chase, alike benefiting her mental and physical powers. She is the better for her outing in the woods with lungs breathing unadulterated ozone, undefiled water to be had for the stopping, and pulses tingling with the excitement of opposing Nature in its cutest form.

Interesting Edwardian anecdote
http://books.google.com/books?id=3dXNoR-...t&resnum=3#

Last edited by Drew Hause; 08/11/09 07:16 PM.
Drew Hause #157639 08/11/09 07:09 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Priceless, Drew. I really enjoy the masterful use of the English language as used 100+ years ago in so many writings.

OBTW, I have been searching for a reference I cannot find. Maybe you, being one interested in the old writings have run across it. I once read, in an issue of Field and Stream, or Outdoor Life or Sports Afield (or somewhere like that) an article comparing the vices and virtues of flintlocks and percussion muzzleloaders. Somewhere in that article was a quote from an old writing by an Englishman which said in part something to this effect:

We hear much about the new percussion form of ignition on sporting guns and rifles and the advantages of it over our tried and true flint ignition. It is put forth, among other arguments, that the cap ignition is faster and also is more reliable in the rain. To that I would say that a flintlock, properly built and cared for is fully quick enough in ignition to serve anyone's purpose. And, as to the charge of it not being reliable in the rain I would reply, "Gentlemen do not go sporting in such weather!".

This is nowhere near a recital of that piece, as it has been many years since I read it, but have you ever read anything like that? I sure would like to have a copy of the article if possible to find where it was originally.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, Is this the letter you are speaking of? Best-JB

J.B. #157678 08/11/09 10:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Did Lowell write that letter?

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

My observation: I have shot flintlocks and percussion guns for well over half a century and have become well acquainted with the idiosyncrasies of both. Both guns have their merits and advocates and I do not wish to enter into any argument with either. It is true that the percussion ignition is faster than most flintlocks and lends itself well to wingshooting. And, properly maintained, it is much surer in wet conditions than flintlocks. Excepting this, a well made flintlock has the most reliable ignition of the two. If the shooter is well versed in maintaining flintlocks and has done so the gun will hardly ever fail to fire properly when the trigger is pulled. If it does fail then the blame rests solely on the manager, not the gun. In contrast, on numerous occasions with percussion guns I have experienced hangfires or plain misfires and could not discover a satisfactory explanation for the failure. The slightest obstacle in the convuluted fire channel of a percussion gun can easily cause either. So, I do not find it strange that it seems the flintlock continued to be the choice of many hunters and frontiersmen well after the percussion era began, especially among those who travelled far from settlements for extended periods.

Frederick Ruxton, travelling in the Far West in the mid-1840's observed many of the mountaineers still using their flintlocks. This was not due to poverty or supply but a desire to preserve their hair.

Since 1980 I have shot flintlocks almost exclusively when hunting four legged game. And during that time I've taken quite a few deer and elk. Without exception I have never had my rifle fail to perform at the crucial time with perfection. In earlier years, shooting the percussion gun, I never knew what would happen at that moment.

Note: I have spoken of well made flintlocks, not the mass produced items imported from Europe. There is no such thing as a good, cheap flintlock. That is an oxymoron.

Northern New Mexico, .58 flintlock roundball, large roundfaced English lock by Jim Chambers Flintlocks.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Joe Wood #157773 08/12/09 03:26 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe....that looks like the Raton Indian Reservation hunt...???...

Best,

Doug

PA24 #157794 08/12/09 05:57 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nope, it was my "once in a lifetime" draw in the Valle Vidal, which borders the Vermejo Ranch, Philmont Scout Ranch, and Forbes on the north. Bull wasn't massive--I passed larger bulls during the hunt, one 300+ bull on the first day I gave to a feller from the NRA--but on the fourth day it was the "right bull, right time". Like to tell you it was a running 200 yard shot offhand but truth is he was bugling his guts out broadside at about 20 yards and I had a pine tree to lean against. Truth hurts! Roundball totally destroyed his heart, etc. but he still ran 30 yards on pure adrenaline.

Here's a picture of the bull I gave away. He was walking down a long finger meadow bugling. Came from my side and we had agreed that if something showed up the hunter closest would have the shot. He was about 75 yards away and I levelled the rifle on him but it was the first day of the hunt and I was just having too much fun playing with the elk. I didn't want to end it this way. So I whispered to the other feller to take him and he did and he was thrilled. I think it was his first bull. Over the next three days my guide and I had more fun calling in bulls and playing with them. I really didn't care if I took one--been there, done it too many times before. But on the fourth day something popped in my brain when the little bull just stood there bugling and slobbering all over himself. Strange....I think this was the last bull I'll ever take. Time changes.

Joe Wood #157810 08/12/09 08:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

You may have given that bull away, but you shot yours with a proper muzzle loading rifle. Congradulations on you elk and looks like a beautiful rifle.

popplecop #157817 08/12/09 08:56 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's it, J. B.! Thanks so much for printing it. I have remembered bits and pieces of it for many years. Now I'll save it. Thanks, again.

Beautiful elk, Joe. I, too, have hunted for the last couple decades with half and full stocked b/p rifles, though all have been caplocks. I have the parts to build me a really good flinter. I got a Siler tuned by Mr. Walter Cain many years ago and have never built the gun. Walter really knows how to tune a flintlock. I plan to build two more rifles. One, the flinter, the other a caplock with a lock by Bob Roller.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
popplecop #157819 08/12/09 09:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, popplecop. Yup, it is a proper rifle--it's one I banged out, sorta like one would expect made in 18th century Virginia. Strong English influence with the large round faced lock, and most of the brass fittings have long tails on them. Notice the "beavertail" carving around the tang....typical English.

O.K. folks, I know this is a double gun site so this'll be the end of it......

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.