June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (SXS 40, 3 invisible), 443 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,579
Posts546,668
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

The forend hook is not made to support a beavertail forend's recoil. You might expect a similar loosening if you fix it and continue to shoot with the beavertail.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The forend hook is not made to support a beavertail forend's recoil. You might expect a similar loosening if you fix it and continue to shoot with the beavertail.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The LC Smith guns with and without beavertails use the same forend lug. The ones with a beavertail use the roller latch in addition to the J-spring latch, and use a reinforcing screw in the forend to attach it to the wood, but they all depend on the same forend lug for attachment to the barrels. This damage was probably caused by someone popping the barrels open instead of opening them properly. The type II hammer guns are particularly prone to this damage because they have nothing to stop the barrels except the lug.

Last edited by Tom Martin; 07/16/10 10:56 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, I am looking at a mid 1920s Monogram with a beavertail. It does add the roller to the Baker Patent forend fastener, but also has a reinforcing behind the hook to the barrel flats, to help the hook accept the pounding of the beavertail. This added reinforcement was common with other makers using a beavertail, too.

murphy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lost me, If I do anything it will be to send it to someone, I just don't know how much money should go into this gun. I paid $400. for it, should I spend how much to repair. The serial number on barrell and forend do match so I think they had to be together. The serial number on the receiver is what is different.

Last edited by murphy; 07/17/10 12:23 AM.
jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Murphy,

A pro shouldn't charge too much to resolder the rib into place. I'd think $100 would be about what most capable double smiths would charge to do it right. I'm curious about the larger hole in the rib ahead of the lug. It suggests that at some point it was tapped for something that attached to the rib but it seems it should also be covered by the forend so, probably not a swivel mount... Any how, since you asked, I wouldn't put too much more than you paid for the gun into it but you should get it back to where it is safe to shoot a few rounds of trap by getting that rib done correctly. Given the condition of the forend wood and the possiblility that the buttstock is a replacement (judging by photo), it's likely not worth much more than what you'll have in it post repair.

Best,
jmc

Last edited by jmc; 07/17/10 06:45 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your barrels and for-end iron date it to 1909. I believe that the beavertail wood was added to it later. The receiver's serial number dates it to post 1945, and could be from parts left over when Marlin bought them out in same year. If that is all that is stamped on the receiver's water table, but, I don't believe at that time they were making the Regular frame then. Is there a number stamp like 00 and then E on the receiver's water table? If so this would date it to 1906.

This has nothing to do with the rib, but I am curious about the serial number.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JDW
Your barrels and for-end iron date it to 1909. I believe that the beavertail wood was added to it later. The receiver's serial number dates it to post 1945, and could be from parts left over when Marlin bought them out in same year. If that is all that is stamped on the receiver's water table, but, I don't believe at that time they were making the Regular frame then. Is there a number stamp like 00 and then E on the receiver's water table? If so this would date it to 1906

The above date quote is incorrect; your frame dates to 1908 and the serial number block denotes that this gun originally shipped with factory optional auto-ejectors. The barrels/foreiron serial numbers indicate 1909 prodcution and is from a serial number block indicating that these parts were originally on a gun shipped with manual extractors. As Smith gun ejector parts are all housed within the forearm and barrels, barrels with manual extractors of the same frame size/type can easily be fitted to what was formerly an ejector gun frame; while on the other hand, it takes a lot of work to convert a set of manual extractor barrels to function with auto ejectors.
We know that your frame is from 1908, as it is an "R" (Regular) sized gun frame; and "R" frames had been dropped from production by 1945. Other clear age/period indicators are the shape of the grip and checkering pattern. Why does your gun not have the original barrels? We will never know of course; they could have been damaged, but it is also very likely that your gun was originally a Grade O gun which would have had Damascus barrels that were replaced with steel tubes at some point.
As to the loose short rib, this could be the result of several causes. I suspect your barrels have been reblued at some point; if these barrels were improperly hot blued, the bluing salts used could have reacted with/dissolved some of the original rib solder and weakened the bond. The only way to know for sure is to have the barrels inspected by a qualified doublegun smith. Should that be the case, it is possible that all ribs should be relayed and then the barrels properly slow rust blued. Another possibility is that the replacement foreiron was not properly fitted to the frame and placed too much tension on the hanger lug; eventually breaking the rib loose during recoil. Again this must be determined by a gunsmith, and is a problem that can also be repaired.
As to the large hole in the short rib, this is not factory origial. I have seen small holes aftermarket drilled in this area to insure hot bluing salts were removed after a reblue; but in most cases a large hole in this area indicates that someone did a little creative gunsmithing and added a screw or bolt to secure the forearm after a broken "J" spring. In your case I don't see a corresponding hole in the iron itself, so can't say for sny certainty; but there is some sort of non-original screw attachment added to the front portion of the iron. Again, have it checked by a gunsmith.
As to repair, with the barrels in their present damaged state and the altered iron and aftermarket beavertail; you certainly don't have $400 worth of parts. Were it me at this point, I suppose I'd have the barrels repaired and the forend returned to the original splinter type (Smith beavertail options were not available on guns from the 1908/09 era); then I'd shoot and enjoy the gun. Properly repaired and maintained this old Smith is good for another 100 years; good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

topgun has it right. Take his advice.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

Murphy: My L.C. 20 ga. did the same thing, I fixed it 4 years ago and it is still going for my grandson. If you will call me we can discuss what needs to be done and cost. I don't see why this repair should be very much and my turnaround for it is fairly quick right now depending on whether you want the barrels reblued or not. Mike at: 317-373-0599

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.