June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (buckstix, Roundsworth, Vol423, Steve Nash, 1 invisible), 424 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,614
Posts547,008
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a recent stock carving job by Steve Nelson,Corvallis,Oregon on a D M Lefever cross bolt gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Terry That one is beautiful

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is that an original pattern on a restored gun?

Boxlock
Boxlock

I like the ones that are fairly simple with good design elements. Of course "good design" is always in the eye of the beholder.

Boxlock
Boxlock

[img:left][/img]

This photo is a Ballard I was able to obtain several years ago. I have never seen another like it. The stock and butt plate appears to be old, and are serial numbered to all the other Ballard parts. I always liked the elegance and the simplicity of the design.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As an Art Form carving the woodwork on a rifle may be impressive and the craftsman very skilled, but I have to concur with BrentD, less is more. I'll go as far as checkering with or without a border. I'd never buy a rifle with a carved stock I'd be too scared it got damaged. It's something you would never see on rifles made by the few remaining British gunmakers unless it was ordered by a foreign potentate, or, dare I say it, an American. I don't mean that as an insult, it's just we Brits don't really go in for that sort of thing, perhaps we're too reserved. A little engraving on the metalwork Yes, but carving on the woodwork sadly no JMPO others will differ. I'm so conservative that I don't much favour cheek pieces on a rifles butt stock.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Lefever was a restocked, rusty gun. The cross bolt guns were made in Qualities 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 0. I decided to make what I thought a 2 might have been, and this is the result.

Total production of the cross bolts was about 1250 guns from 1902 through 1906. Since this one was no longer close to a collectible, it seemed like a great foundation for a custom project.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Richard Carlson
[img:left][/img]

This photo is a Ballard I was able to obtain several years ago. I have never seen another like it. The stock and butt plate appears to be old, and are serial numbered to all the other Ballard parts. I always liked the elegance and the simplicity of the design.

Now there is my Ballard again. It is the finest Ballard ever in my opinion. How Roy sold that w/o telling me, I'll never know.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

All-
While the thread title is "carved stocks not for everyone", clearly a study of pre-war sporting rifles must include them. While they are not contemporary, it seems that they were a carry over from earlier styles. We need to keep in mind that many of the early makers were immigrants to this country. What is the correlation from the work or style to the makers age and time in America? I like them. Particularly the G&H full stock and the Steve Munier (Ok all of them).

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I really like the Ballard, do you feel the stock was done at Marlin or later?

I know the "China" stock is not most folks cup of tea (Pun intended) but it's very well done and looks a lot better in person.

The rife has been separated from the stock so if you happen to run across it let me know I would like to reunite them.

Picture from Art of Engraving: by James B. Meek

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.