June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (azgreg, journeymen, KDGJ, 2 invisible), 335 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,577
Posts546,589
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

First, let me say I am no authority on Winchester solid ribs, but have observed and learned a lot by buying and selling quite a few over the years. I do believe at least at one time, the solid ribs on shotgun barrels were integral. If you look at how much metal had to be removed, you would think that it would be very costly but lets look at some other things Winchester did that I think was even more costly during production.
If you look at a the two-pin ventilated ribs, you will see that each dovetail is separately machined on the barrel by removing stock material as well as the rib itself being machined. It was then slid over the dovetails and held on by two pins through the middle dovetail. This went on through the mid 50's before a change was made to the 3-pin rib. To reduce costs, Winchester then soldered the posts on and slid an extruded rib over the posts. There were several different post styles during this change over.
Also, take a look at early Model 70 barrels and see how much material was removed to leave an integral ramp front sight and hump in the middle of the barrel for stock attachment. This went on post WWII.
I also have a Model 92 Winchester that was factory rebarreld with a Model 65 barrel in .218 Bee. This has an integral ramp front sight. All of these examples had to be very costly and time consuming during production so to me, it's very conceivable that the solid rib barrels were originally milled from larger stock.

Last edited by Bob Saathoff; 01/30/14 06:04 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

So, that settles it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Local guy had a pre-war model 70 with a ribbed barrel and it was one piece. Model 10 Remingtons had the solid and vent ribs milled on the barrel too.Not sure if the Model 17 Remington ribs were integral.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Saathoff
First, let me say I am no authority on Winchester solid ribs, but have observed and learned a lot by buying and selling quite a few over the years. I do believe at least at one time, the solid ribs on shotgun barrels were integral. If you look at how much metal had to be removed, you would think that it would be very costly but lets look at some other things Winchester did that I think was even more costly during production.
If you look at a the two-pin ventilated ribs, you will see that each dovetail is separately machined on the barrel by removing stock material as well as the rib itself being machined. It was then slid over the dovetails and held on by two pins through the middle dovetail. This went on through the mid 50's before a change was made to the 3-pin rib. To reduce costs, Winchester then soldered the posts on and slid an extruded rib over the posts. There were several different post styles during this change over.
Also, take a look at early Model 70 barrels and see how much material was removed to leave an integral ramp front sight and hump in the middle of the barrel for stock attachment. This went on post WWII.
I also have a Model 92 Winchester that was factory rebarreld with a Model 65 barrel in .218 Bee. This has an integral ramp front sight. All of these examples had to be very costly and time consuming during production so to me, it's very conceivable that the solid rib barrels were originally milled from larger stock.
Thank you indeed Bob--I was asked by a friend looking for a pre-1964 M70 in .270Win--at a gun show in MI a "dealer" was trying to pass off a "carbine" in Cactus Jack's favorite caliber- A closer inspection by me, as well as stone cold memorizing Rule's "Bible" on the Model 70- showed the front sight ramp was soldered on- and not forged with the barrel blank as you so correctly stated WRA did with all the M70's from 1936 through about 1952- you could ever see the soldering "wipe lines" on either side of the base, plus the ramp was not rust blued as was the barrel, which had been, no doubt, cut down from a std. grade 24" length and recrowned. Caveat Empetor!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
So, that settles it.
Not quite exactly, although we don't have to "blacklist" Mr. Madis for gross errors in his book on the Model 12, now do we. I am curious, and the area GM has a 1921 Model 12 with a factory ribbed Nickel steel barrel, marked full, but with a ventilated Poly-Choke attached (not factory ordered, as the FULL on the barrel stamping tells me it most likely was a 30" Full Choke when it left New Haven CT. I am going to possibly buy it, with the view to cutting off the damn "Pickle" which means I will be also cutting through the rib- will save both sections, remove the barrel from the barrel and magazine group, and sent it to Mr. Hughes if he will be so kind as to provide an address, or if not, in care of Sports Afield magazine- and he can examine it to his hearts content, take all the photos he wished to (I do NOT have a computer oriented camera at hand, sorry)and then send the barrel back with the "paperweight" Poly-Choke gizmo, and I will have a Model 12 home defense shotty gun with a solid rib- a "touch of class" when a few drug dealers decide to knock on my door-- Oh, Segwey sounds like Alaska to me, perhaps segue is the operational word here!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RHD45
Local guy had a pre-war model 70 with a ribbed barrel and it was one piece. Model 10 Remingtons had the solid and vent ribs milled on the barrel too.Not sure if the Model 17 Remington ribs were integral.
Wondering as well about the earlier Ithaca M37's with solid ribs- any value in asking Mr. Walter Snyder about it??

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, I think you should contact Walt Snyder. Call him after 10:00 PM. He is a night person.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice try, Murph- but my Mother didn't bring up and dumb or slow children. Tell you what, why don't YOU call this "Night Person" for us, I do not have his number- believe he lives in NC near Fayetteville. I don't any Ithaca shotguns, nor do I plan to in the near future, so I do not have either of his two books on the Ithaca shotgun, etc.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.