June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (Mike Jensen, Der Ami, Marks_21, 1 invisible), 534 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,579
Posts546,661
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pete Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Do you count the protected areas like the forearm metal interior and the flats? If you count these, what % do you add for them? Do you count weak case colors or only bright colors?

I was in a discussion with a Colt SAA collector and his ways differ from mine.

I thought it might make for an interesting discussion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

personally - i think it is too subjective a number to rely on

how weak is weak -in room light? bright sun?

good case, no case, some case, in protected areas - are as good as most sellers can get

pictures matter more than a guess at percentages IMHO

Pete Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would agree especially when a gun with no case can be either near mint or a complete wreck. But the Blue book bases its values on case color.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Blue Book also provides examples in the front of their book to help evaluate condition according to their standards. I just looked at a gun with fading and worn case colors on the top, sides, and lockplates, and absolutely nothing on the bottom of the action and trigger plate. The seller said he felt it had 80% case colors remaining.

Personally, I think the seller is nuts. If I bought an old car, the fact that it had perfect paint under the hood and inside the trunk would mean very little if the exterior was very worn and faded.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Pete Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What % would anyone add (or not) for 100% colors in the protected areas (flats/inside forearm)?

Sidelock
Sidelock

None IMHO. It is nice to see them though...Geo

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I thought protected areas referred to: behind breech balls, around trigger guard, under top lever, and that flats, forarm etc would be "hidden areas"

Sidelock
Sidelock

sellers count all color they can find, in order sell for highest price.

buyers count only color found on exposed surfaces, in order to convince seller that price should be lowered.

actual sell price is usually somewheres in between...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I look at it a bit differently than most, and my percentages would probably be lower than many. Here's how I evaluate it. Let's say we have a gun that has no color worn through to silver areas, none. However, the 90 year old colors are faded badly, as compared to how they look under the barrels on the forend iron. I evaluate the percent they have faded, let's say 40%. So, we're already down to a 60% level on a gun with no silvered areas. Now, if the gun were to have worn through areas from carrying, etc., I then deduct the percentage that is like that from the 60%. So, if we have a gun with 60% of the original color brightness, and 15% of total case colored area that is worn through, I would call it 45% colors.

As I said, that's probably not how most of the world sees it.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 03/13/15 08:02 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Pete Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I guess the best method is an exact and thorough description...with photos.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.