June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (oskar, KDGJ, susjwp, SamW, 2 invisible), 548 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,589
Posts546,769
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Cops, lawyers, courts, judges. Seems like a big headache to me. Just move to Nova Scotia. They don't even lock their doors.

I'm not so sure about Nova Scotia lonesome. When King squealed on Jim for giving his opinion of the extreme anti-gunner George Soros, he said that if someone said that in Canada, they would be getting a visit from the Mounties. Of course, King probably would have been cool with Jim's remarks if he had been referring to Wayne LaPierre or George Bush. Willie Nelson's heroes have always been cowboys, and King's heroes have always been anti-gunners.

Geo and Stan are lucky. They can toss an intruder to the gators down there in Georgia. Up north here, we have to wait for possums to crawl into their rectum and slowly eat them from the inside out.

If there is such a thing as reincarnation, I hope Ed Good gets to come back as a possum.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Problem with gators is they knock off work when it gets cold and go dormant. Otherwise there'd be a lot less Labrador Retrievers around to have to feed all year...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

And not the Seminoles- love both FloridaCollege teams, but go with the gators to win the SEC? Hummm- maybe??

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Best way I can think of to stack the odds against yourself in case of a prosecution for unnecessary force is a history of social media remarks like some we're getting here...Geo

Amen, Geo. I was thinking of that earlier in the day.

Edwardian, you just "go your own way", and when the fit hits the shan, you'll see.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up; unless you're a burglar at Fox's house.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The guy that taught the CCL course I took advised against even getting hollow points for the reasons listed by Dave in Maine. As I remember he recommend ball ammo.

He is just one guy with one opinion. But this guy was as far to the right as anybody on this board. And this was in a particularly conservative city in a conservative state. But he still worried about it and that stuck with me.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up; unless you're a burglar at Fox's house.

No apology necessary, lr.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

My wife took a handgun defense course taught by local law enforcement many years ago. Most of these students were women, but a few men sat through it with their wives just to make them more comfortable. I did. I remember well the admonitions ...... Never shoot anyone in the back, even if they just raped you and are leaving...... When you fire at a perp, even if he falls to the floor upon the first shot, keep shooting him until your gun is empty ....... Never pull a gun if you do not intend to pull the trigger.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Dave in Maine," et al., having only been around the court system, practicing attorneys, and state and federal judges for some 45-years, and having during that time authored many bills that later became civil or criminal law in the State of Illinois, informs me that a number of misapprehensions concerning self-defense issues are prevalent. Although the subject is, however, understandably confusing and apparently misunderstood.

It's the circumstances in these types of cases that either works for or against the defendant, or for or against the prosecution. However, if the defendant's attorney believes before trial that his client is surely doomed simply because he chose to purchase from a store or concoct for himself more effective ammunition, such self-defeating attitudes do tend to get the hapless defendant convicted--or worse, create a situation where a plea agreement can be foisted on him. His attorney might even believe that what the defendant did was somehow morally wrong and his self-defense measures unjustified, in which case the attorney never should have accepted the defendant's case. Indeed, we are not discussing premeditated murder here, we are instead addressing self-defense, I had thought. Preparation for self-defense is not a crime or indicative of mindset. Nor would it be wise for a defendant to hire any defense attorney who considers self-defense to be indefensible, which opinion seems to be mildly suggested as well.

There is a trend these days for the prosecution to overcharge defendants (Here, for example, federal conspiracy charges are an overused but 'popular' way to force plea agreements.). The overarching problem is that too few younger attorneys have trial experience because some 90% of criminal cases are pleaded. So it can be off-putting for some to have to defend clients at jury trial. And cases of self-defense with a firearm especially, which a significant portion of the populace object to as always unjustified, can be daunting to engage.

It needs to be reiterated that any attorney who puts his client on the witness stand in a criminal case should be looked on with a great deal of suspicion as to his professional judgment. The idea that a criminal defendant is going to be made or allowed to self-incriminate himself by taking the witness stand on the advice of counsel is ludicrous. It isn't going to happen.

If the shooting is justified under the prevailing circumstances by law, the defense attorney should be willing and able to defend his client quite well. As you know, the defendant does not have to prove his innocence; it is instead the prosecutor who has to prove the guilt of the defendant beyond a reasonable doubt. Any reasonable doubt and the client should be found innocent, whether tried by jury or before the court at the bench. It is the job of the skillful defense attorney to argue and inculcate and thereby instill reasonable doubt in the mind of the jurist or in the minds' of the members of the jury. Justice usually prevails.

I hereby rest my ruminations and my case.

Regards,

Edwardian

Sidelock
Sidelock

Before you rest, counselor, would you answer one question for me? I am a farmer, about as far removed from criminal law as one man can be, but can not the family of a slain perp bring civil charges, in other words a law suit, against the one who shot their "loved one" in self defense? Would not that defendant then be required to take the stand and answer such questions, such as I put forth? Perhaps I used the term "prosecuting attorney" in error, but the point I was trying to make is that if I do end up on the witness stand, to defend my actions, they will be much easier to defend if the opposing attorney cannot use "fringe" actions, such as concocting homemade self defense loads, against me.

When two attorneys here have diametrically opposing views on the subject, what is a peon to think?

SRH

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.