June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (Philmc926, SXS 40, 4 invisible), 477 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,579
Posts546,668
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pete Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Seems that everyone I know does it differently. Do you count the # covered by the closed action and forearm?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure what you are asking . Only real way to tell is if it looks good .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Its simple really. If you are a dealer you start at 90% and go up from there. Like the dealer who told me his gun had 90% case color in protected areas. None on the non protected areas when I looked at it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I look at it as what number would have made me happy had I just bought and received this firearm?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good question. I don't have any idea what others would consider proper, but I estimate the percentage of the receiver that still has any color whatsoever, and then of that estimate the intensity compared to what the original color might have been. A much handled field gun might score 10/10, whereas a frequently used but carefully handled gun might score 90/80. Works for my use, but almost certainly too complicated for wide application, and would always subject to the vagaries of interpretation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
I look at it as what number would have made me happy had I just bought and received this firearm?

That makes a lot of sense prO'fesser...a lot of non sense.

Made that donation yet ?

Pete Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pretty much what I thought. I judge the amount on the right, left and bottom of receiver and average it. In a nice gun, the covered areas inside are usually 100% but the triggerguard is usually mostly gone. Sometimes the buttplate was once cased but usually gone. That is best a side comment.

Of course, the reason it is important is that the Blue Book calls out different prices in 10% increments and sometimes those prices are $1000 or more apart. Lots of room for argument and advantage taking. I can see why most legitimate dealers try to stay with general comments. Some guns have 0% but otherwise in pristine condition while other guns with 0% are ragged yet they score the same %.

Let the buyer beware.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't looked at a Blue Book recently, but they used to have a section of color photos in the front of the book that illustrated various condition factors, including percentage of remaining case colors.

To me, a good description would be a total percentage remaining with further details such as "strong vibrant case colors in hidden areas, faded 40% remaining on action, and very little remaining on bottom of trigger plate and action." Seldom will a seller give such a description. As Ky Jon says, most of them see at least 90%, and price the gun accordingly. We are then free to laugh and remind them we weren't born last night. Paying a 90% condition price for a gun with 40% case colors is a certain way to be one of the guys who thinks we are destined to lose money on every gun purchase we make.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.