Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#549451 06/30/19 02:41 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

While Italian makers seem to like this option, I've never seen a British gun bearing chrome.

But what's not to like?

Given the first barrel question is usually about minimum wall thicknesses, why wouldn't Brit makers in more recent times (post 1970s) embrace chrome?

It would make lapping of pitted bores a practice of the past. Wet days with older guns....no longer such a worry.

I realize that chrome makes modifying chokes a bit more difficult, but the tools are available.

Just wondering on a Sunday afternoon. Any thoughts?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with you Mr. Pearce, what's not to like? The answer to your particular question is probably tradition...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pitted bores, more often than not, are (or, more accurately, WERE) the result of corrosive primers, which haven't been used for some time.

The tools are indeed available to open chokes on guns with chrome bores. But relatively few gunsmiths--even specializing in doubles--have those tools.

If they were a significant advantage on modern firearms, it would seem that more firearms manufacturers would have adopted them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the 1970s my senior hunting partner was talking to Franz Sodia about chrome plating shotgun bores. The answer was quite surprising to me: the electric current was not steady enough in Ferlach and consequently the process was deemed too risky, qualitywise...

Cheers,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

The old 101 Winchesters have chrome lined bores...as does the newer Browning 725

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm thinking that excuse doesn't hold water, since you need a DC power supply to do electroplating.
Turkish makers extensively use chrome and black chrome external finishes.
Browning chromed chambers but not bores.
It would be interesting to know more about the rationale.

L. Brown #549488 06/30/19 08:22 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Pitted bores, more often than not, are (or, more accurately, WERE) the result of corrosive primers, which haven't been used for some time.

There have been many guns that have experienced pitted bores since corrosive primers went the way of the washboard. The causes were/are buildup in the bores of lead or plastic. With plastic shot cups used in most commercial loads today leading of the bores is mostly a non-issue. But, after corrosive primers, and before shot cups, it was a major cause of pitting. Today, plastic buildup in bores contributes to the same thing as leading used to. What happened/happens is, the lead or plastic residue builds up in the bore and moisture collects underneath. The moisture then causes rust which causes the pits.

Chrome lined bores are a blessing, IMO. I love them. As the Jewish mother said, "What's not to like?"

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no free lunch. Chrome plated parts are subject to hydrogen embrittlement, and the chrome can do a fantastic job of hiding corrosion underneath it. You are at the mercy of the quality of the steel, the preparation of said steel for plating, the quality of the plating work, and the quality of the anode.

Id prefer stainless barrels, in theory, but, if I live to be 100 I still wont live long enough to see the advantages.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was told by Mike Orlen, in a conversation, that the chrome lining in shotgun barrels bears no resemblance at all to a chrome plated car bumper, for example. He said that the chrome in a barrel is done in such a way that it can never, and will never, flake off, and is indeed permanently bonded to the steel. This flaking that I have witnessed on car parts is due to rusting underneath, it seemed to me, as you mentioned, Ted.

I was concerned that, if I got him to lengthen forcing cones on an Italian O/U with chromed bores, it might lead to flaking off of the plating adjacent to the machining. He said not that it could not happen.

Personally, I've never witnessed a failure of any kind with the chrome lining of barrels. Has anyone here ever seen such? What I do find is that they're a heckuva lot easier to thoroughly clean than an unlined barrel, and a thousand times less prone to corrosion of any type.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one set of barrels with chrome bores. They were made in Italy some 50 years ago. I have had no problem with them over those 50 years. Stan is indeed right, the chroming of shotgun bores is an entirely different process than Chroming Plating a Car Bumper. I am not positive what the correct terminology is, but I think it Actually, Not Plated per se.

ANY steel can rust, even the most resistant of the Stainless ones. When stainless does oxidize (Rust) it will normally Pit worse than a non-stainless one. This has been observed by boaters who carried both stainless & blued steel revolvers under identical conditions.

As Stan said though Rust will not form beneath the chrome in a shotgun bore as it does on a plated part such as a bumper. IF it does indeed rust it will do so Through the Chrome, not under it.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.