June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (AZMike), 501 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,489
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello gentlemen:

I never take care with my female bird dogs if she is in heat or not. I simply go out and hunt.
A person told me recently that it is not correct to hunt while the dog is in her fertile period.
Could you tell me how do you do?
Any harm to the dog? other problems related?

Thank you for your opinions.

Best,

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fine by me if there are no un-neutered males in the party and none likely to be encountered. If there are intact male dogs expected, then I would not do it.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to take my male and female "on the road" in a Suburban for 2 to 2 1/2 months in the fall, starting in Canada and ending in New Mexico or similar. It was always a concern that the female would go into heat, so a vet prescribed to me a drug to retard the female going into heat. It worked well. I think in was called Shurs, or similar.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 11/29/19 04:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend with a trio of goldens would put his female on birth control pills of some sort. Did the trick.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, I hunt my female when she is in heat. Although I hunt public land it's not hard to sidestep other hunters. Of course, if I hunted with a partner with a male dog, neutered or not, I wouldn't do it. Even if the dog can't do the deed, it will still be interested in the female and disrupt the hunt. I'm more worried about her hooking up with a coyote than another hunter's dog.

If you have a big trip planned the other posters' suggestions of suppressing or delaying the cycle is probably the way to go but most of us with intact dogs kind of know when the next cycle is due and for local hunting it's no big deal.

Bruce

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe in spaying. I don't intend to breed my dogs and I don't want an accident. I also believe the vet when he says it is healthier for the dog...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kept the girl dogs home when they went into heat, reliably around opening day of grouse season. Didnt need a bad outcome.
Ive decided Im not a dog breeder, and I let the females come into one heat cycle, and they are then spayed. Havent owned a male in a few dogs ages, but, Id likely neuter one at about 1 year.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jose to answer the question you asked. Keep hunting them you are not going to harm them.
When I had females that were not and spayed and came into heat I hunted them because thats the only trained dogs I had.
I never had anything negative happen. I didnt hunt around other dogs thats an obvious precaution. Never had to shoot a coyote off the top of my dog 😜. Not saying given the right circumstance one wouldnt try.
A friend of mine who has a dozen English pointers he guides with. Will avoid hunting his females in heat because his males get aggressive with each other.
He also feels they dont listen as well and make more mistakes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've hunted several bitches that weren't spayed. Never worried unless hunting with a partner who had a male.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Jose, You might be violating a number of gender sensitive rights by denying a female a day in the field because of biological driven conditions.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.