Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#565439 02/18/20 08:38 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just picked up a Greener Facile Princeps. It was described as the rear trigger not firing. It felt like the rear trigger was not doing anything at all. I removed the stock and bottom action plate. I can cock the hammers manually and both triggers fire with no problem. So I figured I would put the barrels and forearm back on and see just what is happening. I cannot get the forearm back on. To me it appears as though there is not enough force being applied to push the ejectors back to allow the forearm to go on. I don't know if there is a knack to these forearms or what. Thought I'd show a couple of pics to see if there is something amiss or something missing before I do anything more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you tried recocking the hammers manually, like you did with the plate off and then try to reassemble? Some guns with ejectors can be a bugger to get back together once hammers are tripped with the fore end off. Found this out the hard way when I wanted to store a couple of guns with the hammers relaxed...
WBLDon

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have tried to reassemble after I recocked the hammers with the plate off.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hard to tell from the photo but I suspect that the ejectors need to be cocked. I can see that it has Baker type ejectors but can't quite tell for sure if they are cocked or not. The ejectors should be flat against the forend iron when they are cocked. There is a notch located under the nose of the ejectors which needs to be engaged with the reinforced insert in the forend iron. You can achieve this with a block of hardwood by pressing hard backwards and down to get them seated again. They can be a bear to cock but I have done it. Do one at a time.
A bit hard to explain! More pictures would help in the diagnosis...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like the ejectors have tripped and need to be re-cocked .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are a couple of more pics. The ejectors are not sitting flat so I guess I will have to try and re-cock. Thanks guys.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 02/19/20 09:26 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would like to see more pictures of your FP. Do you know what grade it is? Does it have a top tang safety or a port side safety?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm not sure what grade it is. I just picked this up at auction. It was dirty, described as having dark bores, rear trigger not working and rusty. People paid it no attention so I bought it. Well, you couldn't see the engraving on the action before I cleaned off the dirt and grime. The barrels had surface rust. I have done a preliminary sanding with oil and the barrels are as smooth as a baby's bottom. I cleaned the dirt out of the bores and they are fine. Can't even detect any pitting. No dents and they ring nice and clear. The stock was described as having a cracked wrist. It has a fine crack between the safety and the action. Otherwise there really isn't a mark or gouge on the stock and the checkering is very nice. It was not mentioned that the gun had ejectors. I think this ole girl was left improperly stored for years and forgotten about until likely family decided to get rid of an estate. It will be brought back to life.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 02/19/20 01:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes. Recock the ejectors. The motion should be back and down. The edge of a workbench usually makes it easy. Nice gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I got them re-cocked. Good news is both triggers now fire. Bad news is they don't eject. The right barrel ejected once. Plus every time I remove the forearm the right ejector needs to be re-cocked. I don't know if the pins shown in the pic below could be causing the ejection problems. They look like home made affairs. I don't know for sure if they are the right length. They have been wearing in a bit into the forearm wood.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.