June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 457 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,577
Posts546,587
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thankyou Skeettx!

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/29/24 04:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a gracious and generous gift

1901 Sporting Life, “Heikes Hand Protector – A Necessity for Blue Rock Shooting” introduced by Chamberlin Cartridge & Target Co.
https://digital.la84.org/digital/collection/p17103coll17/id/41838

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Sporting Life, John L. Lequin. secretary of the Interstate Association, writes us under date of Feb. 25, 1898 as follows:
“We have received inquiries from most all directions recently from a number of shooters who are probably desirous of entering the Grand American Handicap next month, concerning the weight of guns, and whether the handhold and recoil pad will be counted as a part of the gun when weighed. The subject has been placed before the Tournament Committee of the association, which committee has decided that the guns will be weighed naked.”

That “nekked” would be minus Heikes Hand Guard, Rowley Pad, or recoil ‘boot’.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My joy,

Whittington was a fun shooting and fellowship weekend smile

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those are cool but if you need protection from the barrel a glove is much easier on the blueing!

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In colder weather, yes, but in warm-weather situations I prefer this option and it's not blueing I'm concerned about. Most of the guns I'm using them on have pattern-welded barrels (i.e., Damascus). There is an added side-benefit of a perhaps more-consistent hand position on the tubes as well?

In general, gloves do provide better overall protection to a guns finish, especially during hunting use. Even during carry, your skin oils on the action and the back of the barrels take their toll over time and I use good, light gloves whenever I can. But, when it's warm (especially in the early season), this is a good option as well and... I actually like the feel of a good gun in my hands then (it's all part of that reintroduction to using a game gun on birds again each Fall).

I might add that I see game guns and target guns very differently. The weight, of course, being the biggest difference and how it affects everything else (the mount, the swing, the follow-through, recoil, etc.). It's really two very-different worlds to me. My heavy American 12s are primarily used for targets and that is usually in the warmer months.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/30/24 11:21 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I once tried to use one of those things. I realized quickly it was an answer to a question never asked. Ugly and the top "wings" catch your eye, to the detriment of your shooting. You'll soon see for yourself, Lloyd, and you'll throw it in a drawer with other shooting paraphernalia. And yes, a thin leather glove serves much better to keep your fingers off of the hot barrels. You won't shoot enough for the glove to harm the barrel finish.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mr. Roberts, you may be right.

But, I have been using the modern variants for some time now and I haven't found the "wings' to be problematic, just yet. I have had more problems with gloves being too-heavy and dulling my feel for a gun and how I mount it. I also like the physical contact of a gun with my hands, it just feels better to me, like I have more precise control. Really light shooting gloves are the best option here and I somehow lost my last, best pair (they were actually driving gloves) due to carelessness on my part a few years ago. Replacing them has been somewhat problematic.

For years, Orvis had shooting gloves that I really liked as well but they don't offer them any more, and for me, really light gloves don't last very-long either. They fray and wear-out fairly quickly (the safety usually wears through them first).

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/30/24 11:39 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You are right about gloves, Lloyd. They do come apart after a while. I had one pair that I restitched the tears more than once. And they're not cheap, either. But I still continue to use gloves. Although the barrels sure can get hot when you shoot round after round..... One thing that people should be cautious of with gloves- I had a buddy who had a pair of gloves that were maroon. When his hands sweat, his gloves got wet and after a while, the dye on his gloves made red stained handprints on the wood of his gun. He thought it was cool and he would tell people that it showed him where to place his hands when he shot. So he continued to use them. The things that people come up with.........Take care.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 04/30/24 12:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

These fellas did OK with their guards
Walter Ewing, Canada (Individual Gold) and George Beattie (Silver), 1908 London Olympic games with their Lefevers

Check out the guard on the lady's gun on the R

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by John Roberts
I once tried to use one of those things. I realized quickly it was an answer to a question never asked. Ugly and the top "wings" catch your eye, to the detriment of your shooting. You'll soon see for yourself, Lloyd, and you'll throw it in a drawer with other shooting paraphernalia. And yes, a thin leather glove serves much better to keep your fingers off of the hot barrels. You won't shoot enough for the glove to harm the barrel finish.
JR

Gotta say, I agree with 100% of this. I don't see why anyone would prefer them, but to each, his own. In warm weather, I don't use a glove either except in very rare circumstances such as shooting rounds of trap alone or using black powder while shooting trap with just a few shooters. My hand does not really like being out that far on the barrel anyway.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.