May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jtplumb, KDGJ, Kip, Ken Nelson, Der Ami, 1 invisible), 214 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,545
Posts546,119
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7446 10/27/06 08:43 PM
Cameron Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello ALL,

I picked up a Model 94/14 Swedish Mauser recently with all metal in excellent condition. Although the stock is original to the gun, the previous owner put a mishmash of inserts into the fluted grip area, the medallion area, and where the original sling swivels were. He also cut a notch into the grip area and added a pistol grip. Since the stock has been messed with, I want to refinish the stock and try to blend the different colored woods to more evenly match. I was going to try the acetone bath method, to clean it up, but not knowing what type of adhesive was used on the inserts, I figured the acetone would eat the adhesive away also. Is this a correct assumption, and if so, what would be a good alternative method of cleaning up the stock.

Thanks for any and all replys.
CH

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Something about the whole concept...I say there's a high probability Acraglass is the adhesive. You might do better with a quick application of paint stripper than a long bath in acetone. And there's gotta be milsurp original furniture out there for that fine old shooter...what great round the 6.5 x 55 is!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Apparently the US was flooded with M94's in the 1980's. Being the short barreled, turned down bolt used by the cavalry many were restocked for deer hunting. Agree you may get lucky if someone kept an old stock.

94's in original issue get a premium.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Cameron Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys,
Just trying to bring myself up to speed on the 94's. According to a Swed mauser forum I found, most 94's came in prior to 1968. The 96/38's came in at later dates. It appears that your correct Rob on the premium for un-messed with 94s. $900-1000.00 not uncommon for one in pristine condition. Which, when one looks at the quality of these arms doesn't seem too steep.

Yeti,
I'll try paint stripper on it first and see how it goes. Your right the 6.5x55 is a sweet round. I can't wait to try it out on deer.
Thanks,
CH

Cameron Hughes

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.