Eugene,

Oddly enough, I had a similar experience in England though it wasn't my dog. My friend the Captain runs a little woodcock shoot and had me down as a guest a few years ago. I'd never seen a European Woodcock let alone shot one before. Missed my first bird of the day, too long a story to type. Didn't have another try till the first drive after lunch when I managed to knock one out that the gun to my right had missed. I was thrilled needless to say, just beside myself really. I had my bird and didn't care a bit if I shot another but the boys insisted that I try the night flight later that evening. We all took our stands alone on different lanes through the wood. I actually had a chance for a right and left if I'd been fast enough, a pair of birds crossed me not 10 yards high. But I was hesitant in the dark as there were other types of birds flying and I didn't want to make a mistake. Just as I could hear the boys coming to pick me up I caught a glimps of one zipping over my right sholder. I snapped the gun through the bird, actually pulling the trigger after it had disappeared in the dark. Heard a limb crack and the leaves rustle as it fell through the timber so I knew I'd shot straight. The Captain came up with his dog a few minutes later and sent him in, he was gone a long time, working the brush. Then I faintly heard him (the dog) make a little huffing sound and my friend nudged my arm saying quietly "He has it", a second later there he was with my bird in his mouth. Another one of my greatest moments in the field. My first and probably only time on European woodcock and I had one both ways, driven and flighted. They gave me the little pinfeathers from both birds and I slipped them inside the empty cartridge I'd killed the first one with then hand closed the crimp back down. It sits on my shelf and I pick it up often......

Destry

P.S. To Joe: You must know Howard.

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits