Originally Posted By: ellenbr
I think what PeteM is trying to state, which would be getting back to first principles and a simple approach, is that the sum of the Forces equals Zero(F(total) = 0). An increase of transverse forces could be attenuated or dampened by the strength of the tube while an increase in longitudinal down barrel(Fb+) force due to a higher velocity would be subject to a higher negative/reverse force depending on the friction factor(like a -kx spring factor) down the tube.

Also I failed to note that due to the geometry of the tube and if the tube is concentric the reflected/attenuated wave/vector collides with another reflected/attenuated wave at the center of the tube and cancels each other similar to a standing wave. If one of the transverse waves isn't reflected or only partially reflected from a weakened portion of the tube then the weakened portion experiences the opposite reflected wave which was to be cancelled.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

I have no ides what any of the above means. I didn't see any mention of the items used in the recoil calculation formulas. There are a few around but most are similar and none include pressure, gauge of gun, bore I.D., forcing cone length or burning rate of the powder used. I have no problem accepting that the reason these are omitted is because they have no relevance.
If anyone believes that firing a 1 oz. load of shot, using a similar amount of the appropriate powder, at a given velocity, say 1200 fps., out of three 8 pound guns(12, 20 and 28 ga.) would produce anything other than the same recoil, you're beyond hope. Each shell would likely produce different pressures, 12 being least, then the 20 and the 28, the highest. Smaller bores routinely produce higher pressures. To say there would be no recoil without pressure is only true because there would be no velocity of the ejecta without pressure. If, as has been said before, the barrel was plugged so the ejecta could not move out the barrel, the pressure might be tremendous. But, there would be no recoil at all, because there was no movement of the ejecta to cause the corresponding reaction of the gun(recoil).

> Jim Legg <