June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 458 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,612
Posts546,976
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot low pressure 2 9/16" hand loads in my 16 Lefever twist gun. 105 yrs. old, no cracks in the original wood, and still going strong (shown below in silver prior to refinish next year). I shoot it near-weekly at skeet, but always do get comments from the Benelli crowd about it being a damascus gun, as though I didn't know.

Respective of Researcher's post, it is hard to imagine 100+ yr. old guns such as mine and many others here (and many with original short chambers) not having had many(tens of?)thousands of normal 2 3/4" high pressure store bought rounds shot in them during that time. Better safe than sorry however.

Last edited by Mark Larson; 12/02/08 07:05 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I dont shoot damascus only because I dont own a gun with damascus barrels.
I do have a funny memory of me giving Eightbore a lecture on what an idiot he was for shooting such a suicide machine back at the old and now unfortunately gone National Capital Skeet & Trap Club.
I was new to shotguns at the time and was dumb enough to believe everything I had read. He does still talk to me though, so curmudgeon is not accurate, pretty patient with a fool actually.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
I don't shoot twist or Damascus barrel guns. My Grandfather's 1890-vintage heavy 12-gauge PH-Grade twist barrel Parker Bros., and my Father's 1895-vintage 12-gauge Remington Model 1894 Damascus barrel AE-Grade have digested carloads of 3 3/4 dram equiv. and 1 1/4 ounce of shot Super-X or Federal Hi-Powers. Grandpa bought the Parker in 1901 and it lived on a farm where six boys were raised, all hunters, and it saw a lot of use. I'd be willing to bet that Dad was using Super-X or their equivalent in the Parker for these early season Ducks at King Lake, Minnesota, in 1932.

Holy Crap....is that an American Water Spaniel I see?? Those old waterfowlers sure knew their business didnt they?? The Parker and the vintage pic is cool, but that AWS takes the cake!

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only in piece with RECENT REPROOF for nitro baby!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Because of government regulation it is now a complex, time consuming and costly process send damascus guns to the U.K for nitro proof testing. In the past I have resorted to the following proceedure to satisfy my self that the gun I wish to shoot is safe to use with low pressure loads;
1/ I inspect and measure the barrels, and chamber length to ensure that they are, "in proof", relative to the Black powder marks.I also check to ensure that the barrel wall thickness is at least .020 inch.
2/ I check to ensure the action is tight and not, "off the face" and that the barrels are free from dents, loose ribs and serious pitting.
3/My improvised method of testing is to wedge the gun in an old tire with the butt inside the tire walls with the barrels resting on the outer,opposite tire wall. I load the gun with field shells having 1 1/4 ozs, shot. I fire the barrels individually using a long string so that I am out of harms way. If the gun is sound after this test, I repeat the proceedure but for the second test I try to discharge both barrels simultaneously.If the gun is not damaged in any way by this test I am comfortable using it with low pressure loads.
I would hasten to add, that testing in this manner is strictly at the owners own risk. It dose not confir the kind of guarantee that a formal proof house test provides.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always been told that Curly was a rat-tailed Irish Water Spaniel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
I've always been told that Curly was a rat-tailed Irish Water Spaniel.

He looks too small to be a Irish water spaniel and his nose doesn't seem pointy enough either He very well could be though, "Curly" looks alot like my "Bear"

Anyway, back on subject here, I would not shoot high pressure loads thru any of my Damascus guns. That doesnt mean I wouldn't shoot "modern" loads thru them. I've shot polywad, rst's, noble sports, Federal golds, B&P's thru all of my Damascus guns. This bird season I've been shooting my Lefever FE with chain damascus barrels with B&P "high pheasant" loads, it handles them with ease. When I load my own, mostly for target shooting, I use IMR 800X and stay in the 5000 psi range, plenty cupcake enough for these old guns to digest with no problems what so ever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LP for me...reloads, 2 3/4"

I have 3 damascus guns. The thinnest way out around mid length is in the mid .02's and the thickest in the mid .03's.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Holy Crap....is that an American Water Spaniel I see?? Those old waterfowlers sure knew their business didnt they?? The Parker and the vintage pic is cool, but that AWS takes the cake!

Dustin [/quote]

Took the words right out of my mouth! That is a great photograph. No way that is an Irish water spaniel, that is an AWS and it looks a bit like my Lady. Sorry limited water photos.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't shoot Damascus or twist steel barrels, just some early (1890) fluid steel barrels. However, according to some old British tests (sometimes referenced, even posted here), those early fluid steel barrels were weaker than good or better quality Damascus barrels. Like lots of your "weak-barreled old doubles", mine has seen lots of use and repairs, even had the ribs resoldered by a local do-it-yourselfer. It is my deadleast old hammer double.

Can I get a membership card in the "Dangerous Barrels Club?"

Thanks,
Niklas

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.