September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (ithaca1, 12boreman, Southern Sport, Ted Schefelbein, Ken Nelson, John E), 167 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,853
Posts550,006
Members14,452
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Silly me- but I thought the "as issued" barrel length for the 1903 Springfield was 24"- No big deal, just those old sniper eyeballs at work- so it has been shortened and then recrowned? Did you do that bit of work Mr. Hughes, or was the barrel already shortened when you stocked this beauty- Darn fine looking rifle--makes me think of the late Ernest Hemingway and his novel "The Green Hills of Africa"-- A steal at $875- but that's about what I paid for a NM 1903 Sniper rifle with the leather laced-up cheekpiece and Unertl scope- Star gauged barrel.

For those possibly interested readers, perhaps Mr. Hughes would be kind enough to detail what the term "Star gauged" means as far as rifled bores-

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox
Star gauge means nothing. They were barrels that just met specific inspection dimentions. No extra effort went into their production. I also had a like new Remington 03/A4 with a 2 groove barrel that was sub moa. no star. Paid $100 sold for $100.
I have been doing this a long time. Am also still riding a 1960 BMW I bought 2 years old.
Have a nice day
Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also FWIW, there are a LOT more 'star gauge' barrels out there than ever left the Armory! And, a LOT more 'NM/Sniper' 1903s than ever left Springfield, as well.

All it takes is an inexpensive stamp, an electro-etcher, some lapping compound and a little elbow grease. I personally know of at least 2 gun show sharks who have been faking these things for years, they're perhaps the easiest of all 'sniper' rifles to fake.

Also the prolific shooter will soon discover that, as Tom pointed out, even a genuine star-gauged barrel is not necessarily any more accurate than any other Springfield-made 1903 barrel. All I have owned and shot (with decent, not perfect, bores) have been 1-MOA performers for 5 shots. Considering my 'ability' (grin), IMO that's quite a good recommendation.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve
Did you build this rifle?
Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

I noticed a forearm anchor screw in the photo, as was the norm pre war and immediately post war. [a la early Pre 64 Model 70's] I am betting it was not built by said Mr. Hughes. JFL

The Sons of Alvin Linden
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think my "sleight of tongue" misled a couple of readers. I meant no harm except to tease Mr. Hughes.

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have no idea who built this rifle except to say that it was professionally done and not by an amateur or hobbiest. While not the likes of Sedgley or G&H it was a thorough and completely professional sporter conversion and judging from the 42 barrel date, post-WWII.
I was pleased to own the rifle but it is now time to pass it on to another who appreciates Springfield Sporters.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Alvin Linden #1
I noticed a forearm anchor screw in the photo, as was the norm pre war and immediately post war. [a la early Pre 64 Model 70's] I am betting it was not built by said Mr. Hughes. JFL
Nice observation there Mr. Linden- I have a 1939 Super Grade M70 in .270Win that my late father bought new and passed to me, and it has this same feature-I feel that the best of the pre-64 Winchesters were also the pre-WW11- better wood available, and assmeblers and Dave Carlson's Custom Shop crew could work to closer tolerances- 5 years of producing M-1 Garands, some 1903's, BAR's etc- the workers became accustomed to greater tolerances, and that may have carried over in post-War production as well- I also have a Std. Grade M70 in 30-06 mfg in 1948 (Rule's book serial number tables) and I way prefer the std. grades with 24" barrels in non-magnum calibers made before 1952 and the changed from single hook cutter rifling with lead lapping to the brooching as first tried on the M70 Featherweight-

My 1903 is a NM and armory built as a sniper rifle for the Korean conflict- I know this because my CO at Quantico allowed me to purchase it from his personal collection of over 200 military rifles- it is a 4 groove Star gauged barrel and is a flat out "Dinger" now with a Timney trigger instead of the "as issued" two-stage trigger-

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.