Skydog (Jim),

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing the pictures of the rifle your grandfather built. First let me say that one thing I have learned over the years of doing research is how verbal family history has a way of, well, lets just say....No matter how I might say this it's just not coming across as I want it.

I think I might be able to clear up a few things.

The Technique
"The South's Livest College Weekly"
Georgia School of Technology
VOL. XXIV
THE TECHNIQUE, ATLANTA, GEORGIA, FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 1934

W. C. Slocum Obtains
Recognition From
Winchester Arms
Recently Tech was given a little indirect publicity in which the student body might be interested.

Mr. W. C. Slocum, the master crafts­man in charge of the shop in the Aeronautical Department, is the man to whom we are indebted in no small way. Mr. Slocum has been spending most of his leisure time during the past six months in making by hand a .22 rifle of the Hornet type for his son. Winchester Arms Company of America heard about Mr. Slocum's work, and sent a special representative to Atlanta to look into the matter. The result was that Mr. Slocum was offered a position with the Winchester Company, which he declined to accept; a very fortunate thing for Tech.
In the construction of the bolt of this rifle Mr. Slocum incorporated his inventive ability to such an extent that it is like no other bolt made to fit the Hornet .22 rifle, a fact which may in time simplify the manufacture of rifles to a great extent. The bolt is much simpler and much more compact than any of the well known makes. The representative praised Mr. Slocum's work highly, and complimented Tech on having such a resourceful man in its employ. However, Mr. Slocum, a'modest man, stated that his sole purpose in making the rifle was to provide a little entertainment for his son. Anyway we appreciate the publicity. Many thanks, Mr. Slocum, and keep up the good work.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014