Salopian:
Well my friend, at the risk of rousing too much commentary out of the weeds on this topic, I must again demur on any promotion of CCH as a canon of back yard double gun "restoration." As I see them, the facts just don't support it:

• FACT: Any gun frame that is potentially subject to this treatment is probably over 100 years old, or close to it. Thus, without expensive professional analysis, the steel composition is unknown.

• FACT: The parts in question have been subjected to a similar treatment before. However, the precise details of that process are unknown.

• FACT: It is unknown whether or not the parts in question had been “hard fitted” after they were originally cased. This void of knowledge gives no hint of whether or not the alloy, or the shape of the part, or the case process originally used caused warpage.

• FACT: It is totally unknown how much carbon was infused into the steel surface by the original colour case process because that process is a cipher.

• FACT: Colour case hardening of parts originally colour cased is for the restoration of a perceived cosmetic value alone. Aged case colouring does not impair a gun’s proper function in the least. It only looks tatty.

• FACT: Tatty old case coloured surfaces can be treated to look quite nice and appropriate for a gun that has survived for a century or more. New case colours on an old gun is like giving Joan Rivers another facelift. The aesthetic result just doesn’t work, and is rather pointless to begin with.

• FACT: Colour case effectively camouflages good engraving. I don’t care who does the case work. Engraving is overshadowed by the colour. Colour case over some Ken Hunt engraving and there’s little point in the engraving. At least for the next 50 years until the colour case starts to fade.

• FACT: Now that there are a few experienced and responsible colour case shops in the country, there is little reason to delve into this process oneself. There are way too many downsides compared to the egocentric upside of being able to say “I done that myself.”

• FACT: A good many popular shops promote this work to make money -- not preserve history. In the process, they have horrifically tarted-up some grand old guns that should have been left alone.

• FACT: No serious future collector is going to value a re-cased gun above an original. If today’s market looks askance at sleeved guns, tomorrow’s connoisseur will recoil at re-cased guns. Personally, I need a Bromo after seeing one.

Nonetheless, I will stipulate that certain guns that have been abused, neglected etc. can and should be treated to a refreshed colour case job as part of a responsible restoration. But the percentage of guns that justify this work is very small indeed. I’ve encountered less than four in the last 20 years.

This will be my last commentary on the subject.