Originally Posted By: JM
What official documentation do you have that Dodd was working on this bill for 7 years?

Not this bill, JM, lots of gun control bills. Quoting from this site: http://www.saf.org/LawReviews/Vizzard3.htm

Upon assuming the chairmanship of the Juvenile Justice Subcommittee of the Senate Judiciary Committee in 1961, Senator Thomas Dodd (D-CT) directed the staff to conduct a study of mail order sales of firearms.[9] After two years of staff study, Senator Dodd introduced his first gun bill, Senate Bill 1975 and opened hearings to generate public interest in the gun issue.[

...During the summer of 1968, gun control advocates in Congress tested the limits of the new policy dynamics with the introduction of bills calling for registration and licensing of firearms...the Dodd subcommittee continued gun control hearings focused almost exclusively on these registration and licensing bills. Although the summer of 1968 marked the high water mark for gun control on the national policy agenda, none of the registration bills came close to passage. In October, Congress passed the GCA to replace Title IV of the Omnibus Act after a spirited debate in both the House and Senate and a flurry of motions by both supporters and opponents of gun control.

Note that it took two years of staff study for Dodd's first GC bill - and you think he wrote one up and whipped it through in 3 months?

Quote:
That does not answer my question. Why would Dingel compare the proposed bill to NLW'38 if they are not similar?

Your first question was:

Quote:
The letter proves that Dodd had in his possession a translated copy of the German law prior to writing GCA'68 (Gun Control Act 1968). The obvious question that you refuse to speculate or even consider is WHY?

I think I have answered that sufficiently. Now it's your turn to answer the question I posted to you yesterday:

Originally Posted By: jack maloney
Could you fill us in by comparing 'near verbatim' sections?

Last edited by jack maloney; 02/27/07 11:05 PM.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com