June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 395 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,487
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Type 56 with under-folding spike bayonet and receiver full of rivets. With one of those in your hands you would be like "Mullah Habib Abdullah". If buying new I would probably pick Arsenal with side-folding stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Type 56 with under-folding spike bayonet and receiver full of rivets. With one of those in your hands you would be like "Mullah Habib Abdullah". If buying new I would probably pick Arsenal with side-folding stock.

The quality of the Arsenal builds is generally considered to be excellent.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jim and Jaeger - thank you.

This ad has "Arsenal" in it - "These rifles are brand new & come with 16 inch chrome lined barrels , side mount rail for mounting optics, 1 ten round mag & all new construction in the famous Russian IZHMASH Arsenal.They do not use standard AK mags but will work with the Sure fire 30 round hi cap magazines" http://www.gunsinternational.com/Saiga-AK-47-Sporter-Style-Rifle-7-62X39mm.cfm?gun_id=100425504

Is that gun made by the Arsenal manufacturer you are talking about?

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you wanted one for hunting Mike that's probably a decent way to go. The ones I own were purposefully assembled as defensive weapons should the need ever arise.
I personally wouldn't want an example that didn't take standard AK magazines. This could be a BIG drawback under some circumstances.
Jim

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike: IMO that's on the pricy side. Shop around for a bit and do some comparisons. However; I guess the days of the $400 AK built from a kit are now gone!
Jim

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Jim. But is the last one by the Arsenal manufacturer you and Jaeger recommended?

Will shop around.

Sorry to be so tiresome!

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 03/30/14 04:23 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

AmarilloMike,
Regarding "clips" - there are two basic designs. The stripper clip, or "charger" as known by the Brits, is designed to load the magazine and then be discarded. It doesn't enter the magazine. The en bloc clip used in the M1 Garand is retained in the magazine until the last round is fired and then it is ejected. In Mannlicher rifles the clip is retained until the last round is chambered when it falls out through the bottom of the magazine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike:
I haven't been in the AK market for quite some time but I do remember Arsenal having other models.
It's still possible to find a kit on Gunbroker, usually with a newly made domestic barrel, and have it built yourself.
This of course will give you more latitude on configuration and options.
Despite whats been insinuated by others I've never run across a poor example military surplus kit.** I don't really find much difference in them although there has always been a preference for the Russian kits when they were available.
Jim

**The Romanian ones were claimed to be inferior when they were 1st imported but I didn't find this to be the case nor did multiple builders I know find this to be the case. At around $100 per kit including the barrel they were a real bargain in retrospect and I wish I'd put some of these kits away.

Last edited by italiansxs; 03/30/14 08:20 PM.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The design is so simple and forgiving a design that even the WASR does what it was designed to do--go "pop" when the trigger is pulled with another round chambered after extraction and ejection.
There was a reported incident (according to Col. David Hackworth) where an AK-47 was recovered from a bulldozed site in VN during a fire base construction. It was found buried alongside a VC corpse. "One story, plucked by Kahaner from the Vietnam memoir of Colonel David Hackworth, illustrates the issues. Hackworth came across an accidentally exposed Viet Cong gravesite, yanked out a mud-caked AK, pulled back the bolt, and fired off thirty rounds as if the gun had just been cleaned. "This was the kind of weapon our solders needed and deserved, not the M-16 that had to be hospital cleaned or it would jam," wrote Hackworth."

The Gun, by CJ Chivers, is a good read about the history of the AK-47. If I recall correctly, he writes that it is even made in street bazaars by gunsmiths in Pakistan. Yes, the milled receivers are nice to have if and when you can find one, but they are no more reliable than one punched or stamped out of steel. Imprecise and loose tolerances of parts and design are what contribute to its reliability and not machined, milled or hand-fitted parts. The AK-47 is the Remington 870 pump of military long guns.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.