Originally Posted By: jack maloney
Originally Posted By: Jakearoo
...they are as protective of their personal freedom as any group I have ever met.

I find much to admire in our 'neighbors to the north,' and have enjoyed traveling across Canada from BC to NS. But I'd have more respect for them if they didn't punch so far below their weight in NATO, NORAD, etc. Few major nations spend less per capita on defense.

For far too long, crouching under the US defense umbrella has been a cheap and comfortable way for Canadians to be "protective of their personal freedom" - while we 'neighbors to the south' pick up the tab.

Jack,
Far be it from me to speak for the Canadians. But, if they didn't pick a fight(s), and in fact are really not very interested in it (them), why should they "punch their weight?"
The Swiss men are all members of the military. Everyone is trained to use a gun and everyone has a gun. They are as free as free men anywhere in the world. Yet, they are a neutral country. Have been for many years. I'm sure you are aware they did not take sides in the World Wars.
I may be wrong, but my perception of the general pulse of the Canadians is that some of the fights the U.S. gets into are not perceived to be Canadian fights and they really do not want to be in those fights.
In fact, there may be some Canadian discomfort with having the most powerful and oil hungry nation in the world at their very long common border. You know, it is a little seceret that if you include the tar sands in the far north, Canada is the second largest holder of oil reserves in the world, right behind Saudi Arabia.
But again, I am just trying to make an objective observation. I am probably influenced by my own precepts as much as anyone.
Best Regards, Jake

Last edited by Jakearoo; 05/13/07 09:03 PM.

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net