Is there a specific reason you have to choose between those tow guns? as in; they are offered to me for free or that's all you have etc?

You are asking a question akin to asking whats better a shovel or a broom. makes no sense since neither is similar. both do clean things up but are different tools.

to me, training is much more important than which pistol you end up with.
Formal training obtained through a recognized professional firearms instructor or school. not Billy Bob the "tactical guru" at the local gunshop who was deployed to Iraq as a truck driver or was involved in "black ops".

having spent the past almost 30 years as a student of the gun as a defensive and offensive tool and as a formally trained instructor, I have my own beliefs and opinions. and they are worth nothing. But I look at a few things when making a recommendation.
1. are you prepared to use deadly force?
2. are you willing to get professional training to effectively use a firearm for personal defense and understand the legal issues when carrying and using a firearm?

3. what is the environment in which you will most likely be carrying the firearm? on you , in a vehicle, in a home, in a business, or a combination.
4. will you be the only person using it?
5. will you train at least monthly (meaning will you shoot 100-200 rds a month to maintain proficiency?

once these questions are answered, I can start to make some recommendatioins.

on the surface, when asked the generic question of what is a good gun for self defense in the home? I ask what the person experience is.
I tell them that it isn't som much the firearm but the training and willingness to use it.
but , that being said,
for the average person who doesn't shoot much, has minimal training, in a revolver I recommend a Smith & Wesson Model 10 M&P 38 Special revolver or its stainless equivalent. with 158 gr semi wadcutter hollow points.
for a semi automatic, I recommend the !SIG P250 in 9mm with Speer 124 gr Gold dot HP. the P250 is a smooth light double action only auto pistol. It has about a 6lb double action pull, you have to deliberately pull it to make it go off.
at least 2 good flashlights and a cell phone.

other semis that are sufficient would be a Glock 17 or 19 , S&W M&P 9mm , SIG P320 9mm.

I know there are lots of "a 45 is the thing" crowd but if you don't shoot much, shot something that you will have a better chance of hitting with. the 9mm with modern expanding bullets is the standard. the FBI is dropping the 40 S&W for a number of reasons. see their report for the details
. The FBI is pretty much the burning bush when it comes to caliber choice; they have the forensics and the staff to collect, collate data to develop viable and practical conclusions.
The bottom line is shot placement and penetration.

There is no magic bullet.
when you hear that guy talk abut how the 45 is the only reliable stopper, ask him how many people he has shot or has seen shot with one. even the experts have all only witnessed a few shootings themselves. they rely on data like everyone else does. But you can read and see what has been collected and what the results are.

I used to be a 45 guy but I have evolved into carrying a Glock 19 with Speer 9mm 214gr +P Gold Dots.

this is the very short answer.

hope this helps and does not muddy the waters

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member