June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (MattH, Licensed to kill, LeFusil, dogon, 2 invisible), 342 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,612
Posts546,986
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bumbellybeak, there are many and myself included that think the pre 1913 guns are made much better to the post 1913 guns. The workmanship was better.
Also in finding a 16 ga 2E Grade with two barrels I think is a great find. I quess I misunderstood your original question, I thought you were selling not buying. What is the asking price for the gun? I'm sure that whomever is selling it should give you a few days inspection to make sure ecerything, mostly the barrels are in good shape, especially the Damascus ones and that the chokes aren't polished out.
This gun with the ejectors would have been speecial ordered, so maybe the chokes are different than full/full.
Also the steel barrels would be Crown Steel and that should be stamped on the underside of the barrels. The Damascus barrels would be Chain Damascus. There were 12,887 No 2 guns made and 5,044 were Automatic Ejectors.
It's also possible that this gun might have what is called a "Joint Check", claimed to stop the rotational movement of the barrels around the hinge pin during opening of the gun.

This is the first style, if the one you are looking at has one it will probably be the second style with a pin instead of the rotary pin. Can be real nasty to take apart if the spring breaks in the joint check of the second style.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

May I offer the following thoughts??
When questioning the board, a couple of years ago, about a 12 gauge set much like this, I was advised, by most, that a two barrel set was not worth a great premium over a single barrel gun. Seems that most of these second barrels were rarely used.
I took their advice and did not purchase the gun. I greatly regret that decision.
I, also, think that a second set of steel barrels are probably not original to the gun. Seems odd to order both barrel materials at the same time.
Bravely anticipating the wraith of the LC man, I will advise that the stock is more important than a second set of barrels.
The set that I looked at was around $1200 at that time; had two forearms, and the wood had no cracks or bruises
Best,
John.

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

John is correct in the value of having the original stock. Easiest way to tell is to remove the wood screw (s) from the trigger guard, rotate it and the serial number should be stamped there.

David

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John, I sure don't know if the steel bbls are original to the gun; they are numbered to the gun. Each set of bbls has it's own inlayed forearm, perhaps w/ ebony?
Again, I saw and handled it; tried both sets of bbls on it, checked the ejectors, but was not able to take bbl or choke measurements. If I drive the hundred miles again too take a closer look-see, I will ask if I can peek under the triggerguard. Only the screw on the underside of the receiver, forward of the triggerguard, looked turned. Right now I'd bet it's the original stock. That darned cute little quail under the patina distracted me from paying closer attention to things!
Are we still thinking 1600 - 2500? Or, maybe best to wait for the LC man to opine.
Thanks,
Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep. I think that, if the gun be all original and in sound condition, $2500 would be an acceptable price. Small gauges are at a premium and the Queen of gauges should be at the top, in my opinion.
If the letter proves that the gun had the second set added, along with the second forend, then a lesser amount is expected.
The grade is of interest but not of paramount importance to a shooter. The collector will have a different opinion.
I will venture the following. If the gun (all being original) be bought for the outside figure, it will never be worth less. Its rarity, condition and collector desirability will assure that.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the second set of barrels is numbered to the gun they could very well be factory. I've seen more than one Smith and Parker that had a damascus set and a fluid set. Guys had a gun with damascus barrels then when fluid came out, and was considered better, they sent their gun back to the company and had a fluid set fitted.

A friend has a D grade Parker hammer gun that has the same set-up and letters that way. Now that's quite a shotgun!

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

MarketHunter:

There is no disagreement that the barrel sets both be factory. The question is whether they came from the factory originally. If the gun was ordered with both sets, it is far more rare and probably worth a premium.
As new steel barrels were readily available for Elsies, many were sent back for this fitting. It is usually marked on the steel barrels, but a letter should remove all doubt.
Best,
John

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone else care to share their opinion on value..?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The value of this piece is determined by: originality of specs (chamber length, lop, choking,....), condition of wood finish, frame colors, and barrel blue + the value of extra barrel set. This amount of wear should be consistent on factory original piece. W/o accurate % conditon figure evaluation of worth is simply impossible.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jagermeister, I know and agree with what you said; that value is determined in large part by originiality, condition, value of 2nd set of bbls., and consistent wear.
I am sorry I do not have an accurate % condition figure; it would be better if I did.
Still, based upon what I do have and can recall, I am comfortable asking for opinions as to value range, from those comfortable with providing their opinion.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.