R.Marshal,
The crown U is the mark for a "view" proof, which was a detailed inspection, including verification of dimensions. The crown W is the mark for choked barrel( amount of choke unknown). It's curious that I didn't see a crown S, which was the mark for proof with shot, maybe it was hidden in assembling the barrel bundle. The 12 in a circle means it has a standard, for the time, 12 gauge chamber. The standard 12 gauge chamber was shorter than todays standard- 67mm(2 5/8") vs 70mm( 2 3/4"). The 13/1 is the bore diameter ahead of the chamber(18.26mm). The word "Nitro" shows the drilling was proofed in Suhl, so was likely made there or nearby. The crown G means it was proofed for a single projectile( bullet). Since it has the bore( not groove or bullet) diameter in millimeters(7.7mm), it was proofed after the 1911 improvements to the 1891 proof law. The case length should have also been shown. From time to time we see guns proofed during the transition to the new, missing the case length. The "S" under the selector is for "Schrot"( shot) and the "K" is for "Kugel"( ball or bullet). While this is a nice drilling, I would consider the other one, if I intended to hunt with it. Even though it is "plain", Sauer is a good and known name. The main reason for my opinion is that you said it has a scope mounted. To effectively use a drilling, it should have a scope. To have one mounted in the US can be an expensive proposition.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 11/03/17 10:47 AM.