June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (Der Ami, FlyChamps, Chuckster, Jimmy W), 227 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,513
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

...and what(first aid, dog support stuff) to put in my vest while out in the field?

This will be my first outing with my pup and I'm going out of state. So, I'm looking for some advice from you savy dog owners to put together my first aid and field bag. I've had horses and generally the bandage, antiseptic, and vet wrap stuff, I have.

I wasn't going to boot her up for this hunt in SD cornfields and slews. She's on Frontline and has her shots. Am I forgetting anything?

Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing that I value above most anything else is a saline IV solution. It can be administered by anyone subcutaneously and is the easiest, fastest way to get fluids in a dangerously dehydrated dog.

Getting an IV bag is a bit difficult. Some vets will give one to a good customer, but not always.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

"It can be administered by anyone subcutaneously and is the easiest, fastest way to get fluids in a dangerously dehydrated dog."

I would try pouring it in the dogs' mouth. If you administer it subcutaneously you will probably have to tie him down first and it will probably cause a lot of yelping on his part and just dribble out anyway.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want to hydrate the dog, use pedialyte. You can buy it in liquid or powdered form. If you don't have any, you can simply mix some salt and sugar in the water. The intravenous hydration is meant for a dog that is seriously dehydrated. They look a bit like a camel when the treatment is finished.

I carry some betadine, kaopectate, forceps, hydrogen peroxide (to induce vomitting(mixed with water)), etc. Also a length of surgical tubing. It can serve many uses. The biggest concerns will be heat and barbed wire. Carry bottled water on you and water the dog down on a regular basis. A few years ago, on opening day, the temperature hit in the 80's. A number of dogs died from heat stroke.

I have a bag in the truck for the dogs and myself, in case. Look at the area where you will hunting. Find the name and number of 2 vets close by. Keep those in the bag as well.

I would have the dog vaccinated for Lyme disease. While not as common in SD as here in IL, there are more cases in SD than in your home state.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vitamin C in case of Snake bite.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/vitc.htm

It saved my buddys dog from a rattle snake bite to the muzzle.
L.F.

Sidelock
Sidelock

EMT Gel! Saved the life of one of my dogs who clipped an artery on a piece of fence. EMT and elastic wrap got me back to the car and Vet's office for sutures. Scary, but damn glad I had the gel.

Eye wash is als very important in dry grasses. I clean the eyes carefully at the end of the hunt and usually check once mid way.

Jim

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jim,
What type of eyewash? Human type for contact wearers?

EMT Gel for cuts, tears -works as advertised.
Nylon stocking to hold sterile pads in place over ears, feet, etc.
Leatherman tool for porcupine quills.
Karo syrup for a pick me up if hypoglacemic.
Cell phone w/ preprogrammed # for vet.
Water the "two bottle rule" one for on the way out, save the other one for the way back.
Don't drink the dog's water bring your own supply for yourself.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I second emt gel.. stops bleeding fast, pedialyte for deydration and duct tape!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Saline solution used for contact lens wearers is a good eye rinse, make sure in is not the disinfecting/storage stuff. I good pair of tweezers can also come in handy and the horse wrap that you have is also good because it does not need tape. I also like a good emergency care book that tells you some simple things you can do until you get to the vet. If an emergency is going to happen it will most likley happen when you are away or if at home on a Sunday. It also might be a good idea to find out a vet close to where you will be hunting or an E.R.for dogs.
Good luck and enjoy your time with your new best friend.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.