June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, Ted Schefelbein, 3 invisible), 442 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,502
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of good advice here. The only thing I didn't see mentioned is a check chord/ lead rope. In case the dog gets over heated (which she will) it makes it much easier to control her for a few minutes, then let her go on her way again. Just a few feet of any light rope with a snap will do. Would also serve as a (crappy) tournequet.

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil,

I keep one or the other in my vest at all times, guess I never thought of it as a first aid item.

This is one of the most useful threads I've read on this site. Thanks to Chuck H for starting it. After reading about the vitamin C stuff I called my vet and he had never heard of this kind of treatment for snake bites, but he said it made sense. Needless to say, I immediately went to my truck, pulled the Brittany first aide pack and included a bottle of vitamin C. In Arizona, during quail season, you need all the help you can get. Thanks again for some great information.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen: I'm making no value judgments but simply saying if a MD and a Vet know nothing about Vit C for snakebite, it might be reasonable to assess this data with some skepticism.

Here's some more websites and you can decide if this all sounds reasonable:
http://phoenix.about.com/cs/desert/a/snakebite_2.htm :rolleyes:
(BTW: Signing out of an ER AMA is not usually the most discernful maneuver in the management of one's health)
This site DOES suggest sucking the venom BY MOUTH : http://www.pathlights.com/nr_encyclopedia/16pois01.htm

These are excellent sites regarding conventional evaluation and management:
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2143.htm
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20020401/1367.html

Fortunately, Vitamin C toxicity is very rare:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002404.htm

And here are a couple re: management of snakebite in dogs
http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/sb.html
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_rattlesnake_bites_in_californi.html

Bottom line:
"A snake bite should always be treated as an emergency even in a vaccinated dog.
If your dog is bitten by a rattlesnake, seek veterinary attention immediately."

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I bought a tool case that looks a bit like an alum covered guncase that has dividers for the storage. I'll see the vet just before I leave. I'll see if I can convince him to set me up with a syringe of Benedryl. Needle and suture or thread will get in there. One of the things I learned from vets around horses was to not use hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, or other strong anti-bacterial on large wounds that need to be closed back up. The peroxide or other a/b will kill tissue and not facilitate mending growth back together, according a vet that told me this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"not use hydrogen peroxide"
That is correct Chuck-the best irrigation solution is the squeeze bottle of saline. I can't emphasize enough the importance of complete removal of ANY dirt and debris before closing a wound.
And we're all asking to get dog bit attempting to suture without using lidocaine first-unless you're truly in the middle of nowhere, this is also a job for a Vet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck
My dog was a pup when I got him but he just kept on growing and growing and growing. I wanted a small lab.Now he is a monster. I will run the vitamin c thing through that doc at Loma linda and see what he says.If you must sew on the dog, include a muzzle.

Chuck: All are good comments, but I carry my kit in a fanny pack so the stuffs available when I need it. A severely injured dog, or human companion in the field with a first aid kit in a car/truck several miles away is something to avoid. You can fit everything you need in one, at least enough to get you back to the car and its not that heavy either. John

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John
I agree. Certain things should be along with you on foot. Figuring out what's practical to carry and what's gonna stay in the truck is the critical part. I've bought way more stuff than I can practically carry while hunting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck H:
I'll see the vet just before I leave. I'll see if I can convince him to set me up with a syringe of Benedryl. Needle and suture or thread will get in there.
May I suggest that you forget the needle and suture, instead talk to your vet about a surgical stapler. If the vet agrees, have them show you the proper use. It is very quick.

I would still bring the peroxide. I don't use it to clean wounds. Mixed with water, it induces vomiting in a dog. It acts very rapidly by the way. I have a large syringe with some surgical tubing on the end, that I put together. I have used it to force the mixture down the dog's throat. Especially useful when you catch dog lapping up anti-freeze, etc.

Pete

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.