Ted, the same thing happened to me a few years ago when in Florida for vacation in late April. That February I had cataract surgery in both eyes and for my astigmatism I had two lenses put in. My vision was 20/30 in my right eye (dominant) and 20/20 in my left eye. It was great no glasses except sun glasses and shooting glasses. When in Florida I was in the pool with the grandkids and came out and the wife and I went to the store to get some groceries. While going through the isles I picked up a bag or a can and had trouble reading the contents. I thought maybe it was just from being in the pool with the chlorine. The next morning it was the same and called my family optometrist in Pennsylvania who stated I should immediately go see an optometrist there.
forgot to mention that I had been to my optometrist for some lazer work in both of my eyes due to floaters.
So I had surgery there and they put a band around my left eye and told that I would be nearsighted. I now have glasses to correct that and now my vision is 20/20 in left and 20/30 in right. Without glasses I can read as my left eye can see very clearly to about 20", beyond that it starts getting blurry.

It was explained to me that if I had not gone when I did and the vison became black that it could not have been fixed then and I would not see out of that eye ever.
The first time I had lazer surgery was I was hunting and on the way home for some reason I closed my right eye and could only see through the bottom, as if a curtain had partially closed in my eye. That was on Sunday and called around and this optometrist went and opened his office and fixed it. Every six months I go and have my eyes checked and knock on wood they have been the same since I had the bank put in. My optometrist in PA said I got the Gold treatment by having the band. I still had insurance in April but in June when I received the bill from Florida it said I owed $37000 plus. By May I was now on Medicare but since in happened in April the insurance covered it completely.

So to all getting up in age make sure you go to your doctors as things like this take longer and are more dangerous.

Ted, I hope that your band is different than mine and you do recover your full eye sight. From what happened I was worried about shooting and asked the doctor and he said shoot light loads. Since then I have only been shooting 3/4 oz and not over 8,000 PSI. in 12 ga.

David