Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack, shouldn't you add steak & kidney pie and some pints of stout, or would the latter be too Irish?

Seriously, is the Venice turps something they use for race horse hooves? So that I can go in a quest for it.

My concoction is variation of SB's formula: left out the Venice stuff (didn't have any), used liquid carnauba wax, turps and BLO, shaken and not simmered. Quite nice results on the old stock of my MF Ideal. Several rubbings were necessary. Used sparingly as per Salopian's directions.

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Before:

After:

JC(AL)
P.S.: Already changed the pad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jaycee,
Yes venetian turpentine is what they use to help prevent cracking and splitting of horses hooves.It's use in paint technology (artist's oilpaint) is to prevent 'sagging' of the oil on the canvas.It provides 'body' to your BLO concoction.You do need to heat up your concoction and simmer the ingredients to allow the infusion and structural change of the components.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Pete. Point well taken. I'll visit one of the racetracks and ask around for the missing component... and will simmer them.

JC(AL)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack.. If you find that when youare in the company of your "Superiors", that your Right Hand starts to 'Twitch" and you are 'Touching your 'Forelock' with just the 1st 2 fingers of the rt hand.....you will automatically start speaking"Serf-Talk"..Guvnor'Yerrs Sirr..Make yer tea guv. 'Can I do Yer Now'...More Srawbubb on yer kippers mate.......Got to wipe that Slacum off my fingers before ieat me 'Lardi-Sarni....all in 'Jest'...cc/dt

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. T, Sir, apprenticing at 15 is not something with which I have intimate familiarity but a bit of time afore the mast is not entirely outside my experience either. Here's to the salts who keep a ship under the captain's feet and the gunmakers whose names aren't painted on the bricks.

jack

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One of Harry Lawrence's "Boys" that he shared a trench with in WW I. Bert Price was instrumental in the 'Development of Mr L's "Slacum". This photo is of Bert using Slackum on a Purdey Stock in the late 1970s

Sidelock
Sidelock

revdoc,
Tried to PM you, where did you get that photograph of Bert?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Oops- courtesy of crossedchisles

Sidelock
Sidelock

Peter Harris, Donald Dallas is starting on Vol II. of "Purdey" Gun & Rifle Makers, The Definitive History. In my Box Under the Bench' I have 'Couple a Hundred' or more Photos of 'Goings on at the North Row Factory, (1 Block South of Oxford Street, there untill the move to the Chinese China Warehouse,No. 2 Irongate Wharf, 1900. (Gun No 17***))All the Goings on at No 2,"Red Hot Pennies thrown down to the Drunks,staggering out of the Westminster Arms Pub, then watching them pick them up!!!!!!! Those were the 'Fun Days'.....Ken Hunt and 'Self' were 'reminiscing' Aug 24, The Old Bugger's 72nd Bath-Day...... If either one of us had lerned to reed and right, we could probably "DO" a Good Cellar".......Salo' I have most of the Late Brian Frosts & My Late Gaffer' Bill O'Brien's Negs on file....When are you Visiting the U S of A ???? cc/dt

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.