Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#539296 02/26/19 01:58 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Have an opportunity to buy an entry-level shotgun with choke tubes. Right barrel poi is 6 inches to the left, or so I am told. Who could put that right (!) and roughly what would it cost?

Regards, Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim, by whose eye is this shooting? Quite possible with yours it might be ok. I don't think I would send anything away with out trying it myself first.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

6"? thats about as good as you will get .Its nothing in a 30" circle at 30 yards . The more you worry the less you hit .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep looking.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the center of the each pattern for the right and left barrel are off by six inches then read this:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=529317&page=1

If both patterns hit the same point then you have to try it yourself since everyone's fit is different and it may work for you.

Good luck!

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, a coat, gain 5 pounds, lose 5 pounds, lots of things affect this.

Even different ammo has different moments of inertia.

SOOOO, since the gun is JUNK, buy it cheap and never look back smile

Mike

fun reading
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html

Last edited by skeettx; 02/26/19 05:58 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's my thoughts on your "dilemma", Tim.

1) You cannot depend on anyone else to tell you where a particular gun shoots ............. either barrel. Some guns are finicky enough that they will seem to be regulated one session, and not the next. They can be trying, and some S x Ss are very dependent on how they're held, as far as where each barrel prints horizontally. Some seem to be much more dependent on finding the right loading than others. I can make a perfectly regulated S x S print either barrel as much as 6" off at 25 yards, horizontally, by how I hold the gun when firing it. And, I don't mean by holding it 6" off the mark, I mean by how tightly or loosely I hold it, and other factors. I have proven that.

2) Six inches horizontally may not matter to some here, but it does me. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to regulation. You don't have to accept accept less than "right". There are too many guns out there that are perfectly regulated to accept less.

3) Vintage S x S guns are much more likely to be regulated than entry level, modern made S x S guns.

I've shot a lot of guns on my plate to test regulation. These are my findings. Again, IMO, do not listen to those who preach that 6" doesn't matter. When they say "Yeah, but you're dealing with a 20-30 inch pattern. What does 6" matter?" I reply "Little matter, if you always center the bird in your pattern". Who can rightly claim to do that?

Good luck, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all of the answers. I'm more with Stan as the gun I'm interested in is for a nephew who is a fine athelete, as close to a natural at shooting as I know, but don't want to handicap him. So, my question remains, who can regulate shotgun barrels best and what might it cost? Or is Joe right and I should just walk away...

Regards, Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd look elsewhere. But, if you really want to see if the gun can be made to shoot right talk with Dean at Skeet's Gun Shop.

14007 Highway 62, Tahlequah, OK 74464
(918) 456-4749

Great guy to talk to on the phone.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan

I've shot a lot of guns on my plate to test regulation.

Stan I thought you told me you just got your plate...

I'm a stickler for shooting the steel pattern plate at my gun club...shot it today matter of fact.

I've owned and shot a lot of vintage English SxSs...I never ran across one the was not regulated left and right some were high and low because of the stock.

Never shot one that "changed season to season" a test I never worried about...maybe Stan is onto something.

I can't see how that's even possible.

To alleviate the chance of having a seasonally regulated shotgun I guess it's best to pattern right before each season.

Maybe Stan Will elaborate.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.