Cameron, I was given the advice about the Carpathian cultivar by a very old Nursery owner with decades of experience. The English walnut tree I had band saw-milled into future gun stock material a couple years ago lived its' entire life in the same area as where my trees got winter killed. But it survived and so did the smaller one I planted near it as a cross pollinator. I know for a fact that it was started from seeds that were brought from California, but have no idea what cultivar the parent tree in California was. But that tree was fairly close to a large two story brick house that blocked our winter winds. The size of the tree, and the fear that it could come down and damage the house is the reason it was taken down.

I've planted other nut trees, and have plenty of oaks and shagbark hickory trees around too, so my squirrels have a veritable smorgasbord. I got too busy with other matters this past fall, and the little bastards got nearly all of my Hybrid Hazel Nuts before I remembered it was past time to pick them.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.