June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, ksauers1, Roundsworth, Drew Hause, 2 invisible), 371 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,616
Posts547,041
Members14,428
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was thinking of using the already tinted BLO once I get my hands on the canal stuff.

Will also slightly modify by using some liquid carnauba I have in an increased proportion. Experiment I must.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack, I should've. Had to get back with my daughter Emilia who was skipping school. Grateful flowerpots I bet.

Looking forward to Havard Graduation next year when JC jr finishes his two Masters
degrees

JC

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack, I should've. Had to get back with my daughter Emilia who was skipping school. Grateful flower pots I bet.

Looking forward to Havard Graduation next year when JC jr finishes his two Masters
degrees

JC

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do not add red oil to the finishing oil. It is a two stage process.

First, colour the stock with as many applications of red oil as necessary.

Second, apply the finishing oil to seal the grain and produce a surface 'finish'. This needs to applied and rubbed off in thin layers for several weeks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I finally found Venice Turpentine. It is made by Shiva. However, I see that it is called "imitation" Venice Turpentine. Will this be satisfactory for slacum oil?

Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dig, thanks for the important "detail".

JC

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

FYI:

"Venice Turpentine
Genuine Venice turpentine is collected from larch trees. It is a viscous liquid resin; such resins exude from certain trees and are often referred to as balsams. Venice turpentine has been used in painting for centuries and has excellent handling and aging characteristics. It should not be confused with the thinners gum turpentine or rectified turpentine. Venice turpentine is used as an additive to thicken other media. This resin is popular because it gives body to the paint film while maintaining gloss and brilliance, and it yellows very little over time. Genuine Venice turpentine is not easily found and some companies are using a substitute resin called Canada balsam. Canada balsam has two advantages over Venice turpentine-it dries more clearly and it takes only one or two hours to dry, as opposed to three days for Venice turpentine. However, Canada balsam has a distinct disadvantage in that it is more fluid than Venice turpentine."

Originally only exported from Venice, hence its name. Some now produced in Switzerland.

Several art supply stores carry it. Google for it and you'll get multiple hits.

JC

Sidelock
Sidelock

Will visit an art supply store instead of the hippodrome.

JC(AL)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just spoke with the manufacturer. They use the word "imitation" as a disclaimer because the product is not truly from the region of Venice. They claim it is the same product from larch trees just not larch trees located in Venice. It is thick and honey colored as Venice turpentine is supposed to be from what I've read. I'll give it a try.

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.