Thanks for the info Der Ami. I knew it was not a Suhl gun, it was just that all the info I had come up with had indicated that German proof was not supposed to have a date mark prior to 1912.
Thus it appears that only applies if it was proofed at Suhl. Yes I had seen reference to this caliber being listed as 8x58 1/2 R S&S.

Also Ihav read that prior to 912 smokeless powder proof required the same increase in powder as was used for black. Thus if the proof load was a double charge of black, if the gun was proofed for Schultz they also had to double the charge. Tis would put a tremendous load on the gun, so it was stated that most shotgun makers did not submit their shotguns to smokeless proof until it became andatory in 1912 & the rules were also changed then to a mre reasonable level.

Do you know if these same rules applied at Zella Mehlis?
I have a 12 gauge sidelock built by Sauer & Son for VL&D & marked as their Knock-About. Its SN dates it to around 1901-02. Even though it is around a 7 1/2 pound gun & marked for 70 mm chambers it does not carry smokeless proof.

Thanks for any infoyou can provide. Even at 81 I'm not too old to learn.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra