Grouse Guy's question about measuring cast got me thinking about my upcoming trip to Tulsa in a few weeks. I've never been there, but I'm going with a goal in mind to buy a 12b-2" gun. Given that, maybe it would be interesting to see what other folks bring in the way of tools to inspect a potential purchase. I will load my pockets or a shoulder bag with a bore light, tape measure, fish scale, and magnifying glass for sure. I may bring a bore scope, but I'd leave it in the truck until I really absolutely needed it, and I don't see that happening. What else to carry around?

As often as I see dealers selling high priced guns that haven't seen a brush and patch in the bore in years, I am tempted to bring a take down rod with brush and some patches. I suppose some dealers don't want to know what is under the dust and lint, but if it is bad enough, and I was serious about the gun, I'd be cautious about dealing for a fuzzy-bore gun that a dealer would not let me wipe out.

I don't have barrel measuring gauges, so, as much as I would would like to know, I'll have to take my chances. I wish I had a plug that could measure chamber length. I may try to make one, but not sure if I can do it with sufficient precision.

What sort of tools do others take?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]