June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, Buzz, 1 invisible), 335 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,579
Posts546,638
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some modern hammer-guns have a safety. My CZ "Traditional" has one and I've seen others, nicer ones that do as well. I still do not feel right carrying mine with the hammers back and safety on. As safe I guess as any standard modern double, but seeing the hammers back still freaks me out...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 03/22/23 12:22 PM.
eeb #627811 03/22/23 04:30 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Lloyd you best be damn careful walking lonely grouse trails by yourself with a cocked hammergun. If you cock it at least open the action"

But walking with a cocked hammerless is OK? Maybe we should consider what the situation is inside a cocked gun of each type. The rebounding hammer gun with its safety bent on the tumbler is arguably safer than a boxlock, even one with the safety engaged. But as the post above says, with a hammer gun you can see the hammers, whereas with a hammerless you cannot, so if they are cocked, (which happens every time you open and close the gun)
, it is a case of out of sight out of mind.

Last edited by Shotgunlover; 03/22/23 04:36 AM.
1 member likes this: Hammergun
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the hammers were easier to cock with one sweep of the thumb it would be easier to hunt with the hammer gun.

The mystery is the use of such strong springs on hammer guns. A single action revolver has tougher primers than a shotgun yet it can be cocked with a sweep of the thumb s it is being drawn. An autoloader's hammer spring is so gentle it can be compressed with the little finger and they set off primers just fine.

Cowboy action shooters tune their hammer guns so that both hammers can be swept back with the left hand, for right handed guns. They do not seem to suffer any misfires.

One possible reason for the stiffness of hammer springs is found in Hawker's book and involves percussion muzzle loaders. The hammer spring was strong so as to keep the hammer down against gas pressure rising through the nipple. Tradition and all that probably brought those stiff muzzle loader springs to the breech loader hammer gun. Gough Thomas had a point when he accused gunmakers of mental inertia.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Generally, bar action sidelock hammer guns are easier (require less applied force) to cock than back action guns. Having said this I have seen old cheap'n nasty back action guns with weak springs and poor sear-tumbler engagement. These are potentially very dangerous.

Regarding the inference of superior (aka "foolproof") safety of the rebounding lock hammer gun is a statement requiring some qualification. The picture posted by BrentD of a bar action hammergun leaning against a sapling demonstrates the potential risk involved. In resting a loaded uncocked gun of this type against/amongst timber/foliage potential the risk of snagging a hammer and pulling it past the half-cock position but not to full cock there is a real danger when the gun is grabbed to take a passing shot. Back action guns with strong locks are probably less liable to this scenario.
Obviously other factors than spring strength are involved in the degree of stiffness to cock a hammer gun, notably the size of the hammer and length from ear to axle.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Greener recommended carrying a hammergun at full cock and since I usually hunt alone, I do too. If hunting with others, I bring a hammerless to avoid any issues. Where I live a sxs is considered to be very old and potentially dangerous. A damascus gun is a "bomb" waiting to go off and hammerguns are poorly understood. I do leave a hammergun uncocked in a boat or blind while hunting ducks.

I'm pretty tired of unsolicited advice of why I would be better off with a new Benelli or Beretta so I am happier hunting on my own.

2 members like this: LGF, greener4me
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=Shotgunlover]"Lloyd you best be damn careful walking lonely grouse trails by yourself with a cocked hammergun. If you cock it at least open the action"

But walking with a cocked hammerless is OK?

How could you possibly infer this?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd 3. The Adams is a second line London maker gun but it is just as good as the Purdey and in some respects better. This gun was a working for a living gun on both sides of the fence from Victorian times Game Keeping/Poaching. The Violin case was at the time very intentional well here in Brit land no one would pay it much attention walking with it or being in the back of an Automobile or Van (I do not have any idea what you call small Vans on your side of the pond). The gun did belong to the last member of a Poaching family whose great grandfather kept and fed a family of eight on the proceeds of poaching, his grand farther did the same though he did work at keapering his farther worked on both sides of the fence more keapering than poaching. And not to elaborate to much the last owner passed all the finer and practical points of poaching to me as well as the the gun . I kept the gun in all of my vehicles well you did not know when the opportunity would come for a little poaching. The gun is a 12 gauge but no other side by side gun I owned would ever fit in this violin case. I did think of putting down on paper my poaching exploits with the gun in the violin case though they do say "discretion is the better part of valour " so up to now I am still thinking about it. The gun has a top strap that is not very common.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I did forget to say that Here in Brit land Poaching is a clandestine undertaking carried out in the dark extremely silently , the Barking iron" is for the exception not the normal.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
1 member likes this: Karl Graebner
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by muchatrucha
As a kid my first shotgun was a H&R Topper 20 gauge single shot with an exposed hammer.
Hunting pheasants with my dad in Michigan was an experience. When the weather was cold, as it often was in MI, I often couldn’t pull back the hammer. Especially having the wits scared out of me when the birds flushed from underneath my feet!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think all of us who grew up hunting pheasants dogless can recall the surprise and shock when a rooster pheasant exploded from cover.

Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Damascus: Both of your guns are truly spectacular, but I think that I am more drawn to the Adams. That top strap is indeed unusual, as is the case, and the story behind them is a fascinating insight as-well to a world long-past. If I remember correctly, it was missing it's forend wedge when we last saw it here? It looks like you've found it again, which is wonderful. Poaching can be a fine art (which is underappreciated here, I suspect). If it is done out of desperation (or at least real-need), then I'm not terribly offended by it... as long as the game is properly consumed and appreciated by the hungry souls receiving it. Many a backwoods family (where I grew up) had venison & even trout in their diet that was well out-of-season when times were hard. I also suspect that the statute-of-limitations has long-passed for any exploits of your own, so please...feel free to elaborate on them here if you feel comfortable. Purloined food, in any form, is likely have it's own special spice.

Eeb: Walking cocked comes with some risk, I'll grant you, and I never did it unconsciously or when it put others in danger. When I was sure of my footing and when I was convinced game was near I took that calculated risk. Life is full of risks and many take them without much of a thought about it (been on a 6-lane highway lately?).

Last edited by Lloyd3; 03/22/23 10:18 AM.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.