May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (DaveB, Ted Schefelbein, PM, 1 invisible), 276 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,563
Posts546,369
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by L. Brown
The Super Pigeon (unfortunately not easy to find given American ammunition makers' tendency to try to sell both heavier and faster loads as their "premium" pheasant shells) delivered the most pellet strikes in the 30" circle.

'

Reasonably available. https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/4012

What is hard to find is the Remington SP12 wad which was ideal for this load with Herco.

Last batch I used the CB1114, 26.5 grains of WSF and a true weighed 1 1/4 oz of #5 nickel plate. WSF selected for stack height in a AAHS. It still requires a bit of wad pressure.

They run 1230 +/- a little over the chrono.

Major benefit is the birds seldom run. Chasing running pheasants is for kids, and I'm no longer one.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chasing running roosters is a job for field bred Springers if you were to ask me.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess I’m in the minority…I’ve never needed an 1 1/4 Oz load for anything with the exception of steel loads for waterfowl. I’ve rarely used 1 1/8 Oz loads. A vast majority of my birds are taken with 1 Oz. loads in 12, 16, 20 bores. I’ve never needed much more velocity over 1200 fps either, with most of the game loads I’m shoot going around 1150 fps. I rarely ever switch loads either. Chuks, pheasants, quail, huns, sharptails, forest grouse all get the same load. Later in a pheasant season, I may switch to #5’s, but not always.
I treat waterfowl differently, but if I’m shooting bismuth, my loads are at 1200 fps & 1 1/8 Oz. Never needed anything more than that.

A limit of sharptails taken with a 12 bore, 6 lb., Churchill XXV using 1 Oz of #6’s at 1150fps. Jumpy birds shot over solid points at 35 & 40 yrds.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

6 members like this: Jimmy W, Tim Cartmell, Stanton Hillis, ithaca1, Ted Schefelbein, bushveld
Sidelock
Sidelock

Le Fusil, aka Dustin;

the photo of your beautiful gun as well as your straight on comments caused me to think more about what I am seeing in the very very low prices that such wonderful short barreled "bird" guns are being offered at in the United Kingdom at auctions and at dealers. Even after paying buyers premium and cost to ship to the USA these guns are selling at prices that are sometimes 40 percent less than what they are being offered at in the UK. Here are some examples from the upcoming Holt's Nov 2023 auction with 2 3/4 inch chamber proofs. The barrel wall dimensions for the Nov 2023 auction at Holts are not posted as of yet, so there may be some barrel issues that would cause one not to bid.

https://www.holtsauctioneers.com/as...++1759+&refno=++203346&saletype=

https://www.holtsauctioneers.com/as...++1401+&refno=++169315&saletype=

Not only are there very low price short barreled guns for sale but such bargains as this 28 inch barreled 2 3/4 inch chambered beauty from the 1960's.

https://www.holtsauctioneers.com/as...++1707+&refno=++209264&saletype=

Wow what bargains

2 members like this: KDGJ, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the replacement of my right shoulder joint in November will not allow it next year I will find myself continuing to migrate to smaller slower loads and probably smaller gauges for my hunting. I know I can kill pheasant with a 28 because I have done it. I have not yet graduated to the elite group of shooters that use a .410 for that task. I will limit my .410 usage to quail and dove.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Good looking gun, Dustin. I’m certain I could miss as many with a Greener XXV as I could with a longer barreled gun.

Perry, I ‘gotta ask-what pheasants are you shooting at? Come December, when the slews are frozen, and the roosters all have their doctorate in staying alive, nobody I know is using a 28. For the most part, nobody I know is even hunting at that time, but, the guys that are, including me, are using a 12.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pen raised birds over pointing dogs at a game ranch last year. For wild birds, even over pointing dogs, I will stick to my 12, 16, or 20 gauge guns.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by bushveld
Le Fusil, aka Dustin;

the photo of your beautiful gun as well as your straight on comments caused me to think more about what I am seeing in the very very low prices that such wonderful short barreled "bird" guns are being offered at in the United Kingdom at auctions and at dealers. Even after paying buyers premium and cost to ship to the USA these guns are selling at prices that are sometimes 40 percent less than what they are being offered at in the UK. Here are some examples from the upcoming Holt's Nov 2023 auction with 2 3/4 inch chamber proofs. The barrel wall dimensions for the Nov 2023 auction at Holts are not posted as of yet, so there may be some barrel issues that would cause one not to bid.

https://www.holtsauctioneers.com/as...++1759+&refno=++203346&saletype=

https://www.holtsauctioneers.com/as...++1401+&refno=++169315&saletype=

Not only are there very low price short barreled guns for sale but such bargains as this 28 inch barreled 2 3/4 inch chambered beauty from the 1960's.

https://www.holtsauctioneers.com/as...++1707+&refno=++209264&saletype=

Wow what bargains

The link to the first auction is very interesting. My Churchill is also a “Viscount” grade gun. These guns were made in the 70’s for Churchill by Webley & Scott. My Churchill letter states that this grade is somewhat rare, not that many guns bearing the Viscount grade were made. At the time, they were offered as a lower cost, medium grade gun built to Churchills specifications. Mine is nicely finished inside and out, and it has been a serviceable hunting gun. It’s balanced exactly like the Utility and Regal grades XXV’s BLE’s I’ve owned in the past, but is probably a good 6 Oz.’s lighter than either of the previous guns. The Viscount is proofed at 2 3/4” @ 1 1/8 oz. It shoots 1 oz loads great. Not that there’s any need to, but I don’t think I’d want to touch off a full power 2 3/4” high brass load in it though😳.

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The only one I have owned is one I bought two years ago. It is a 12 ga GH Parker No. 1 frame with 25" Damascus barrels, totally restored by a team of top level people. Weight is very light. Due to many reasons, I have yet to try it out but just shouldering the gun it feels like something I would have died to have when I was young and chasing grouse in Eastern Ky where the average shot was 10 to 15 yards. According to the Parker Story data, there were only three of this configuration made.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Perry, had both shoulders replaced - right in 2008, left in 2022. I have full range of motion and strength in each and can shoot any load. It took about 5 months for each shoulder. Trick is to do the physical therapy at home 1hr 30 min each day, 45 in the morning, 45 in afternoon. With the left shoulder work I even became ambidextrous (and for so many years practiced left hand jump shots and hook shoots - the physical therapy exercises were so much better).

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.