I fully understand where you're coming from & can relate in many ways. Being as we're in the same age group & live in the same state, I've thought about making a move myself. Every conversation I have with myself comes full circle to the age-old question -- Is the grass truly greener on the other side of the fence?

There are a few basic facts which come into play when considering a major move.

1. No matter where you go--you'll always be considered an outsider pilgrim/immigrant. Here in Colorado, we know all about this in spades as you well know. If you don't have friends or close family where you move, life can be lonely & miserable. You can only fish & hunt so much & the other 99.9% of your time will be spent living your daily life.

2. This is the big one!! You're married and keeping your wife happy is what makes your life comfortable. I'm sure you've had conversations with her about moving, but have you actually listened to her? Before you contemplate making a move to someplace you think will make you happy, you better have a bunch of long serious talks with her about it & truly listen to her, she might go along on the surface, but deep down she might be hating the idea of moving to the boonies in a colder environment compared to where you've lived the last twenty years. Bottom line is: Happy Wife-Happy life!

3. If you're moving because of politics. Forget It!! Politics are everywhere & can change on a dime. There's no hiding from the results of any given election and always remember the populace centers in the big cities have the votes & control the election outcomes.

4. You control your own happiness--it might be wise to make the best of where you're at now and just travel to the places you think of as nirvana. Before you make an expensive anxiety filled move, rent a place where you're contemplating moving to for a few months & see if it really is the nirvana you dreamed of! You might be surprised at the results of that test drive.