[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I was meaning to measure the screw pitch, but didn’t get round to it. The day before I was going to the range I slackened off the left hand screw just over a quarter turn tightened the right hand screw a quarter turn (moving the back ring left) and re-tightened the left hand screw to lock it up.

I had been shooting 4.5 inches right, and I found it was now 2.5 inches left. I reversed the process just on an eighth of a turn.

I then shot this card at 95 yards taking a 6 o’clock aim with the tip of the German No. 4 reticle just touching the bottom of the sqare.

The cluster of three shots almost exactly where I was aiming are my hand loads with 125 grain Sierra .308 Gameking in re-formed .243 PPU brass.

I then fired 3 rounds of fairly ancient (22 February 1961) Winchester 150 grain .300 Savage Silvertip factory loads. There is a pair to the left of my first three shots and a slight stray at 5 o’clock.

That Savage 45 has been used fairly hard, but the barrel remains in good shape and it is remarkably accurate even by modern standards.

Last edited by Parabola; 02/26/24 06:44 PM.