I had something of an epiphany the other day and it's taken me almost 50-years to get to this point (I'm slow, I know, & I understand that this will rub some folks the wrong way) but IMHO...most sub-gauge guns are superfluous. 16s are the very best of them, but they're all a significant compromise past that point. In doubles, a heavy 12 (~8lbs) will do anything that a 10 will do, and perhaps do it better (more load options, easier to carry). A light 12 (~6lbs) will do anything a 16 or a 20 can do and will be even more efficient when it comes to killing patterns. 28s and .410s are fun and even "cute" but largely unnecessary (unless you're into self-flagellation). If you've smaller or have developed some physical limitations and a heavier gun isn't much fun anymore, then by all means shoot a .410 but...you better be awful good with it, otherwise you're just wounding animals unnecessarily.

There is a reason that more 12s are made than any other gauge and it's because they are "the Alpha and the Omega" when it comes to utility and lethality. History has proven that fact over & over again. You wouldn't want to use the 8lb gun in the uplands (unless you had too) and you won't enjoy shooting the 6lb gun on targets because each has its place where it excels.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/09/24 03:00 PM.